• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE engine box thickness?

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

28 TE engine box thickness?

Post by Tree »

Morning all - can anyone advise me as to what the thickness of the top side of the engine box is?

I'm just about to fit an extinguisher in the top but without wanting to make a mistake and drill through the GRP, some idea how thick or how long the screws need to be would be usefull.

TIA
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 28 TE engine box thickness?

Post by Tree »

Any Ideas? Its one of those five minute jobs with the right information - could be one of those horrible jobs without :mrgreen:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

I've drilled through the side of the engine box right at the top a number of times. It was about 3/8" or 9 mm as I recall.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Mntry_Goodson wrote:I've drilled through the side of the engine box right at the top a number of times. It was about 3/8" or 9 mm as I recall.

Many thanks for that - I suspect the top is thicker but with 2" of insulation I will work on your figures for the screw lengths :mrgreen:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i know that on a party weekend at a local island my engine box could support two women dancing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

You may want to through-bolt with a carriage bolt or a countersunk phillips head. The stress when bouncing over waves may pull out such short screws.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Russell wrote:You may want to through-bolt with a carriage bolt or a countersunk phillips head. The stress when bouncing over waves may pull out such short screws.

Good point Russ - i was thinking about fibreglassing a block on the underside but that would make room limited in what is already a tight space.

I am now starting to think that fitting the extinguisher to the stringer on the port side might be an easier option although its on the opposite side to the fuel pump.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

PM Kevin on PITOU. I am fairly certain he had the ER extinguisher on his 28.

And be sure to install an engine shutdown as part of the system.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:PM Kevin on PITOU. I am fairly certain he had the ER extinguisher on his 28.

And be sure to install an engine shutdown as part of the system.
Yes I did have the automatic Fireboy mounted on the underside of the engine box on the 28. This was an original installed option from Albin at build. As you can see with all of the sound insulation and tape none of the mounting hardware was exposed. I do believe that their are three mounting screws / bolts. Specifically how it was mounted I cannot accurately comment on. What I do know is that the mounting hardware did not come through the topside of the cover. Possibly screws secured in epoxy or sealant or lags epoxied into the cover for machine screws, but I cannot be sure. The wiring ran beneath the insulation to the rear center and into the bilge picking up into a wire bundle.

As Rob has stated, be sure to install the automatic shutdown option as well. A diesel engine will continue to run and take the discharge out of the bilge space and your fire may reignite. Automatic shutdown is very important with diesel engines.
CIMG0967 (480x640).jpg
CIMG0968 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

I've seen studs for mounting insulation that have a 1" or 2"-square metal pad for epoxying to the fiberglass. Such fasteners would probably hold an extinguisher as well.

Aside from that, our boat came with a similar - small - Fire Boy but we and the surveyor determined it was way undersized for the engine compartment's volume. I removed it and installed a much larger extinguisher on the engine's port side, in a bracket strapped to a stanchion that supports the deck and engine box side.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

joe.baar wrote:I've seen studs for mounting insulation that have a 1" or 2"-square metal pad for epoxying to the fiberglass. Such fasteners would probably hold an extinguisher as well.

Aside from that, our boat came with a similar - small - Fire Boy but we and the surveyor determined it was way undersized for the engine compartment's volume. I removed it and installed a much larger extinguisher on the engine's port side, in a bracket strapped to a stanchion that supports the deck and engine box side.
Thats not a bad idea actually - as it happens I have two extinguishers, bought one and then a buddy sold his charter boat and gave me his spare.

Might be worth fitting both.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”