• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin-25 Throttle/Transmission Control?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Albin-25 Throttle/Transmission Control?

Post by NickScheuer »

We quit our recent Champlain-Erie Canals cruise early ater we crashed into a gate at Champlain Lock #1. The transmission would not shift into reverse when a gentle breeze was blowing us toward the Lock while waiting.

A competent Mechanic at Lock #1 Marina adjusted the lower end of the transmission shift cable, however, each time we attempted to leave, the boat would work only enough to push us away from the pier, then fail to shift again, or the MD17C engine would quit running.

The Mechanic suspected our 38yr-old V-P Shift/Throttle control was worn out.

Another Albin-25 we met on Lake Champlain ad been retrofitted with a 2-lever control; separate throttle and shift levers. The owner likes it a lot. Any thoughts about that here?
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Albin-25 Throttle/Transmission Control?

Post by don123 »

Interesting

Just about all A-27's came with separate controls for shift and throttle, though at least on the early ones, they used a really cheap, inferior mechanism

I recently replaced mine with a chromed brass Morse dual control, though when I was contemplating what to buy, I was seriously considering a single lever control. My experience with sailboats where I had separate controls on either side of the compass pedestal prevailed and I eventually opted to stay with the dual controls

The only downside that I can see would be that an inexperienced operator might inadvertently try to shift without first slowing the engine to idle speed, which on a mechanical transmission would be a huge no-no. It could be that your transmission is maybe considered to be a bit fragile and Albin installed the single control to protect it a bit??

I think if you buy quality parts, you can go either way and it will work just fine. There are quality single lever controls which work very reliably. If the A-25's came with the same junky controls that my A-27 came with, an upgrade of some sort, either single or double, is probably a wise investment for you - Certainly better than the ensuing panic you feel when you can't change direction when you need to

Don

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”