• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

26te. what do we know about this topic?

eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

26te. what do we know about this topic?

Post by eseyoung »

So my east coast search for a 28te has lead me to seeing an ad for a 26. So what do we know about them. The one in question has an interesting history. I am sure others have heard its tail but the short version is that the hull was laid in 2008-09 just before Albin closed. The story goes that someone got the unfinished hulls (there were 2) and leased the factory space and with Albins former crew finished them. The power plants are the motors (yanmar) that albin used it their test tank (200 hrs) and were part of the deal when they hulls were purchased.

The boat is technically a new 6 year old boat. She has been stored and commissioned every year and listed for sale.

So from the best of everyone's knowledge is that correct?

What are the thoughts and opinions of the 26 in general and this one (word is her sister sold last year) in particular? They are asking 55k for it. Since there isn't a comparable sales or listings to work from its one of those things that its worth what someone will pay for it.

The boat has nothing in the way of electronics or any kind of hard top. And isn't on a trailer.

Without pricing out every detail I am betting those are going to be 15 to 18k.

A nice 28 can be had for less. The huge appeal for me is the trailer ability. At 8'6" that is much easier to tow than 10' on the 28.

So thoughts?
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: 26te. what do we know about this topic?

Post by Carl »

If the hull was laid in 2008-2009, it most likely was not done in the Albin factory. If memory serves me, they closed the doors in late 2007. Get the hull number off the stern and let us know what it is. I have seen pics of these and they do look appealing due to the ability to trailer.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

here is the YW listing for her. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/Al ... _8draOZ2So

I will call back and try to get the HIN from the broker. From our conversation i am a little unclear as to who actually owns the boat currently. the story he gave me is that someone (he said his name like it should mean something to me) got both hulls and finished them with the intention of keeping one at each of his homes but lost interest in doing so and put them up for sale in 2010 shortly after completing them. He claims that it has never been state registered or CG documented. which is fine, but who then owns it and by what documents is the ownership established?

I wish i knew who has her sister. So I'll put this out there if the owner of the other 26TE (Yanmar powered) reads this post please contact me.

The trailer-ability really fits what we want to do with the boat at this point in our lives. There are plenty of trailer boats out there but few with Diesel power, as seaworthy, well laid out and fun as an Albin.

From looking at the few comparable boats i am thinking that this one is worth, as it sits, in the ballpark of 25K-30K, half of her listed price, which why it has been for sale since 2010.

I came up with this because, it may be 'new' but it is still nearly 6years old, a difficult resale (if/when we come to that), questionable history and lacking electronics, top and trailer. The hard top is running about 4K, electronics is in the 6K range and trailer is in the 7K range. At that point a potential owner is in it 50K ballpark till its all said and done. Which is where comparable boats are going for.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

The only "names" that come to mind when considering Albins would be Fred Peters or Terry Compton. Was it one of them?

While Albin is "out of business" it is certainly possible that the corporate entity is still in operation and therefore could own the never registered boat. I'd sure want to be clear that I had good title to the vessel if I was looking to buy her.

I looked over the listing. Very interesting boat. Not sure I'd do a hardtop myself, probably a fold down arch and a good bimini with windshield connector/side/rear curtains, but that's just me! :)

I'll be following your adventures with great interest! Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Do a search here for 26te. It looks like there is an owner in Florida who is still active here on the site. Maybe he can provide you with some more info.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

perhaps you could let me know via PM the user you are speaking of. I did a search and i came up with a few users who have t he older, stern drive 26Te's but nothing from anyone with a the Yanmar.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

DougSea wrote:The only "names" that come to mind when considering Albins would be Fred Peters or Terry Compton. Was it one of them?

While Albin is "out of business" it is certainly possible that the corporate entity is still in operation and therefore could own the never registered boat. I'd sure want to be clear that I had good title to the vessel if I was looking to buy her.

I looked over the listing. Very interesting boat. Not sure I'd do a hardtop myself, probably a fold down arch and a good bimini with windshield connector/side/rear curtains, but that's just me! :)

I'll be following your adventures with great interest! Good luck!
Neither of those names sound right. I owe the broker a call to find out more.

As for the top, it will need to have something solid for the roof and front windshield connector. Because I want to be able to tow with it in place. Canvas is fine but at 70 mph (on a trailer) it would not be long before it would be in pieces. I would not want a full enclosure so eisonglass would be ok for the rear and sides.

Either way I have got to get the price in range before it can be seriously considered.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I had a Bimini enclosure on Sonny II, an Aquasport 215 Explorer. It was an easy thing to remove the windshield connector and the fold the top back and secure it. And I definitely towed her at 80+ :shock:

Sonny IV also has a Bimini up on the fly bridge, and I thought about a hard top. But I really like being able to open up with the top folded back on a sunn fall day. And a Bimini is WAY cheaper than a hardtop. Lighter too.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”