• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 30 FC ballast in port stern quarter

cjtontsc
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Hollywood, Fl

Albin 30 FC ballast in port stern quarter

Post by cjtontsc »

I recently purchased a 2007 30 foot family cruiser with a M300ti Perkins. It had two pigs of lead or iron ballast located in the port stern where the engine exhaust exits the boat. Has anyone seen this on other 30s? It gives the boat a distinct port list with all the other weight carried on that side. I'm afraid to remove them without advice because they seem to keep the exhaust port partially submerged when the boat is not underway. Would like to do away with the list and not carry the extra ballast weight though. Thanks for any comments. CPO (ret), Delray Beach, FL.
Chuck Tontsch, CPO, USN (ret.), Delray Beach, FL

GRAYCE M - Albin 30 Family Cruiser Hull# 28

"The United States Navy, a global force for (the projection of power in our national interest) good".
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin 30 FC ballast in port stern quarter

Post by johnmurray »

My boat is a 2005 A-30FC, hull #15. As far as I can tell I have no lead ballast and no observed list either. When I took delivery of the boat, the selling dealer told me to always leave the shut-off valve between the two fuel tanks wide open and gravity will keep the fuel quantity in each tank balanced. I think one A-30 owner has had a problem with list caused by an uneven fuel load between the two tanks and I don't know if he found a remedy.
I don't see a problem with you experimenting by moving the ballast around or removing it all together to get the right trim and balance.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I would top all tanks off, fuel, fresh water, and see how it sits. If it still has a port list I would remove it. Then watch it as the fuel and water is at various levels. Maybe the PO only used the starboard fuel tank? May take a while to sort it out, but as you use the boat, I am sure you will figure it out.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

I have a 36 and as the water tanks (located under the aft berth) empty, the stern starts to rise out of the water. We can tell when we're getting close to empty when the comforter is practically on the deck in the morning from sliding forward. I have heard many people, not just Albin owners (Monk, Grand Banks, etc.) installing pig iron in the stern to help level out the boat. Why your PO only installed on one side is a mystery.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
cjtontsc
Swabby
Swabby

Post by cjtontsc »

Thanks all. I read on a previous post that ballast may have been factory installed to compensate for having no generator in that hull position. I'm going to remove the ballast and see how she sits.

"The United States Navy, a global force for (the projection of power in our national interest) good".
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Welcome! It's great to have another 30 FC in our group. That makes 5 of us so far. I checked with my hubby, and we don't believe KP Duty has such ballast. But, she does have a genset. We'll be eager to hear more from you.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Chuck - forgot to mention we do have a genset forward of the engine. That definitely adds to weight forward and could use some ballast aft.

Nice to see another Navy Chief onboard! SCPO, USNR, (ret.)
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
cjtontsc
Swabby
Swabby

Post by cjtontsc »

Thanks again for all the advice. Also happy to see the Navy well represented. I removed all the ballast today (160 lbs of pig lead and divers weights). Helped the port list some and didn't seem to effect fore and aft trim noticeably.

Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

Little late in responding. Was in Napa for the earthquake. Glad to be back in Florida where we only have the occasional hurricane.

The weight distribution in the 30 FC is interesting. With the water tank full on the port side one can get a list in that direction. the fuel tanks in the stern are self leveling since the fuel will flow between them. Keeping the exhaust outlet under water has never presented itself to us as a problem.

That much weight added must have been to correct some imbalance on the boat. Now that you have removed it take a look at the boat under cruising weight. i.e. water tanks and fuel filled supplies aboard. If you still have a problem look at where the weight is.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”