• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 31 TE minimum speed

kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Albin 31 TE minimum speed

Post by kowal_53 »

I had a handfull picking up my new to me 2008 31. It seems the steering was on its way out, and the 4.5 minimum speed was aggravating the situation, not to mention the very sensitive 1 second delay electronic shifter. (To easy to go into forward/reverse when searching for neutral) I guess I forgot what it was like when I first took my 28 home.

I see that there are other with a 500 hp 31 out there, so I was curious if your goes 4.5 knots, at 600 rpm too. I did see other older posts with less HP doing 3.5 - 4 Knots.

Steering to be fixed this weekend so I am looking forward to concurring this new beast.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Albin 31 TE minimum speed

Post by jleonard »

My "ex" did 4.5 at idle after my repower. It took a little time to get used to that. I would have to go in and out of gear a lot in close quarters.
You might be able to install a trolling valve if it bugs you too much
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

4.5 knots on the money at clutch / 600 RPM here as well. For me, I was psyched as my 28 did 6.5 knots at clutch and on that I did install a trolling valve.

As far as the gear shifting it seems to be pretty instantaneous on my boat. Almost too much so and took me a bit of getting used too.

Enjoy your new platform!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

With the steering fixed, today was a much better experience. In and out of gear seems to work. That electronic shift in touchy. The shifter has a built in delay that can be set to many settings, mine seems to be set at a second. (Default setting)

I might go for the trolling valve once I get things settled in, I do want to troll, and 4.5 is a bit fast Today I picked up a alarm, to check engine. Of core the manual for the tach did not have such a display mentioned. So I am trying to figure that out now to bring up the fault code.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Glad that you got your steering squared away.

The trolling valve is on my list as well and especially to get some slower trolling speeds for stripers. I have a spare mechanical trolling valve from my 28 that I'll be putting up for sale soon in order to help fund it.

Curious what the fault code was and if it was on your electronic display / Diesel View display? At first it was hard to get use to using it, but now I like it very, very much.

Jump on over to boatdiesel.com and I'm sure there is info for you or at least the Seaboard guys or other members will jump in to help out.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I do not seem to have a DieselView display. I do have a SmartCraft Gauge tach. That is were information shows up. I went back and tied to see if I could get the fault codes to display, nothing worked. Perhaps once the power is off it might go away.

The alarm what ever it is does go off when I slow down.

The Water Pressure display shows zero pressure. However, I do have good temperature on the grudges, sort of suggesting that the sensor may have gone bad.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

And you're pushing good water volume out the exhaust?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

Yes

I took it yesterday, and no alarm at all. Water pressure was still zero, so there may not be such sensor.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

kowal_53 wrote:I do not seem to have a DieselView display. I do have a SmartCraft Gauge tach. That is were information shows up. I went back and tied to see if I could get the fault codes to display, nothing worked. Perhaps once the power is off it might go away.

The alarm what ever it is does go off when I slow down.

The Water Pressure display shows zero pressure. However, I do have good temperature on the grudges, sort of suggesting that the sensor may have gone bad.

Here is the SmartCraft Diesel View manual. It is what I have on my '06. I checked mine out over the weekend along the manual which I attached and there is no display for seawater pressure or coolant pressure, but temperature for both is displayed. Lots of great stuff is and can be monitored with the SmartCraft. All of the fault codes are listed as well.
SmartCraft Diesel View.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I talked to the local Cummins factory guy. The gauges I have can not display faults. He said the diesel view, or the new one is $2500 plus installation, and programing. He recommended that I service the engine, raw water impeller, duke filter,oil, oil filter, zincs etc. He said he would not invest the money in the diesel view at this time if it was his boat. Only time will bear this advice out.

Of course if it comes on the boat, who would not like it.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”