• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel tank switch

Malcolm
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mill Bay, B.C. Canada

Fuel tank switch

Post by Malcolm »

On my 2001 28te I can't see how to switch from forward fuel to aft fuel tank? Is it the switch from the panel that is used to see the levels in each tank? I have the auto fuel pump which I'm guessing is to pump fwd to aft but I can't find any ball valves. Thoughts?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Fuel tank switch

Post by RobS »

Two fuel tanks on a 28TE ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'm assuming he's got the auxilary tank under the helm. It was an option that I know a few folks here have.

Malcolm, is there a separate deck fill for the second tank? If not then they're plumbed together as one big tank.

If they are truly separate, it shouldn't be very hard to trace the lines. There would be two, one feed, and one return, and either two valves or some kind of double (feed and return) valve.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Malcolm
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Malcolm »

They are two separate fuel fills. I haven't been able to access the boat as I'm away at the moment. It should be reasonable to trace for sure. I just wondered if any one had experience with the dual tank boats. I'll have to trace it when I'm back.
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

I also have the dual tanks. On my 1996 the forward tank is transferred back to the main rear tank is needed by an electric transfer pump. My transfer pump is mounted on the bulkhead just above the holding tank seacock's.

There should be a switch at the helm to transfer fuel. Our was labeled something like "Nav. Equipment" by Ablin until we relabelled. I typically run the main tank down to about 1/4 and then transfer the 60 gal aft.

Hope this helps.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
Malcolm
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Malcolm »

I do have a transfer pump as well. The fuel lines do appear to have a coupling inline with wires running to them. Now I have to follow the wires and see where they go.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

If you can post any pictures Malcolm that would be great. Just to satisfy my curiosity. :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

I have the extra tank and am thinking about removing it. I don't need the extra range and carrying the added weight doesn't seem such a good idea if not needed.
It also covers the area that would be best for locating a depth transducer.
Then I could relocate the battery from under the quarter berth to a more accessible location as well. And I could remove the transfer pump and hose. Just seems like a lot of extra gear I don't need.

If anyone thinks I'm off target I'd appreciate comments. It's our first season with the boat so I'm just getting acquainted.
TQ
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Your reasoning is sound but the one big benefit of the auxiliary tank is that you worry less about the inaccurate fuel gauge we all have. My previous boat had an extra tank and it came in handy when I let the fuel level run too low.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”