• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oxalic Acid

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Oxalic Acid

Post by Tree »

Anyone ever used this for cleaning the grp up?

Does it work on coloured gelcoat for removing the chalky oxidised build up? I know it's used on stainless steel for removing rust spots as I was thinking about using it to remove the tarnish from our hand rails until I looked at a few videos of it in action online.

Thought I'd ask here as you guys seem to be able to access this sort of stuff easier and it's not something I'm aware of over here although I can buy it and it's cheap!

Thoughts and feedback always appreciated

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Oxalic Acid

Post by DougSea »

I use CRC's Mary Kate On-Off. I have NO idea how it got it's name.

Here's a video from ShipShape TV. It's a sales pitch, but I can tell you, this stuff works. It is also VERY strong and you want to be careful when you use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsEutXi04Bg

I've also used FSR. Not as stong, but it's a gel and can be easier to use for some jobs.

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products ... ?grp=m17-2
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

It is also the main ingredient in Bar Keeper's Friend powder. I have used on my stainless Magma Grill and on stubborn stains on the non skid cockpit deck. I don't think I would put it on colored gelcoat.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I'm just thinking of using it in a very diluted state to try and keep down the oxidation down during the year. Over here our season is all year round and we only lift the boat out once a year for its refit. Despite 5 layers of wax in the spring, FP is showing oxidation on the starboard side and on the stern. It looks unsightly as it is patchy.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
djblackwood
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingston, Ontario

Post by djblackwood »

I haven't found oxalic acid based cleaners to be of much benefit in removing oxidation. They remove wax better and are good on stains. Products like FSR are relatively safe if not left on longer than necessary to remove the stains and then thoroughly rinsed off. Bar Keeper's Friend also has abrasives which will remove the oxidation and more if you rub hard enough. Then there's the residue that needs to be rinsed away too. Vim cleaner has various formulations with and without abrasives and is cheaper than an equivalent marine product.
D. J. Blackwood
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Kingston, Ontario

Return to “Albin Maintenance”