• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Insulated Plywood Partition

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Insulated Plywood Partition

Post by special k »

took mine out completely. it just made doing anything below deck more difficult. mine was plywood with door. no noise difference with yanmar 6lp
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I honestly thought mine was fitted by the previous owner so the forward hold could be used for storage - it really doesn't look an OEM part.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I found that the partition on our 28 DID help reduce the noise, but only when the drop curtains were down. With the curtains opened the ambient noise level drowned out any difference caused by the partition.

Mine also had the tranny coupler access door.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:I found that the partition on our 28 DID help reduce the noise, but only when the drop curtains were down. With the curtains opened the ambient noise level drowned out any difference caused by the partition.

Mine also had the tranny coupler access door.
Just plywood or was it covered with sound insulation?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

It had sound insulation on the engine side. And I closed off any gaps with silver air duct (not the usual gray "duct/duck tape" stuff) tape. A tiny gap can destroy the sound deadening abilities of the partition.
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks Doug. So then what I am getting from this thread is that in the 90's Albin insulated the bulkhead and sometime circa 2000 they just went with un-insulated plywood. This would appear to be either for the fact that that is also when they starting putting Yanmars in them which are somewhat quieter or it was just a cost saver..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I would also point out that the partition, especially if properly sealed around the edges, would create a temporary fire block, keeping an engine fire contained aft, away from the helm and cabin. It would also reduce the volume of the engine compartment if a fixed fire suppression system were to be installed.

Food for thought.
Doug
Sonny IV
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

I'm planning to add more insulation this winter, maybe the bulkhead with an access door too.
Thanks to all of you for this exchange.
TQ
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

I noticed a reduction in engine noise when I install Sounddown on the aft side of the door. I "customized" it so the door is still operational. Cummins 370b needs all the sound proofing you can provide!
Russell
twomey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by twomey »

My 1995 28TE has a plywood bulkhead from the starboard side to the starboard stringer. Then nothing from there to the port side. I'm considering making my own (replacing what is there). I have plenty of SoundDown insulation left over from an earlier project. Reading this note made me wonder if any other owner has a bulkhead that they would be willing to sell. Also, any advice on a DIY bulkhead would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tim
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

twomey wrote:My 1995 28TE has a plywood bulkhead from the starboard side to the starboard stringer. Then nothing from there to the port side. I'm considering making my own (replacing what is there). I have plenty of SoundDown insulation left over from an earlier project. Reading this note made me wonder if any other owner has a bulkhead that they would be willing to sell. Also, any advice on a DIY bulkhead would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim. Mine was old and tatty so I've cut a new bulkhead although I'd say it makes no difference to the noise level as to the starboard side there is a huge gap that's left open. I purely remade mine so I had somewhere to fit an engine bay extinguisher to conform with CE approval. It also doubles up as an extra area to store things next to the batteries. I normally put fenders down there as they carry no weight. Potentially I could easily fit theee 5 gallon drums in there with spare fuel if needed.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”