• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Weights in the transom

wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Weights in the transom

Post by wpcv1776 »

It seems that most of the 31TE's have several hundred pounds of weights in a box on the port side of the transom. I understand this was done for balance. I'm just curious if anyone has tried removing them and if so, was there a noticeable difference in handling? I've heard some people speculate that it just keeps the boat from listing in the slip, and that when you're underway the trim tabs should take care of everything. But I'm thinking there's more to it than that. I'm not a marine architect but I have a hard time thinking they did this for no good reason. I'm sure it's been discussed here before but my search didn't turn up anything definitive.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Weights in the transom

Post by Pitou »

With Albin not being one to provide one extra inch of hose or wire there is no way that they would have expended dollars for lead weights if they didn't have good reason. A bit of a head scratcher as to why, I wonder as well.

In my searching for a 31 I found those with generators mounted under the rear cockpit port side did not have any weights and those that did not have generators had weights mounted to the bilge from center bilge and slightly out to port. I thought that I had some pictures, but cannot locate them.

I'm curious as to your set-up. Do you have a generator?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

When we brought our 2000 31 home and started going through her bowels we found a bunch of divers weights on the port side forward of the generator.We just left them there .She sits level when she's at rest and we make up any listing issues while underway with the trim tabs.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Well there goes my theory .. had a feeling. No weights found .. yet on Pitou. Only place I haven't been is under the two outboard fuel tanks and don't want the need anytime soon!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The OP does not have a genset
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Post by wpcv1776 »

We don't have a genset. I figured if we added one that we could get rid of and equal amount of lead weight. I'm just curious how bad she would list if we took them out completely. We just had the boat shipped cross country and during the shipping the box came loose and weights got scatter everywhere. Luckily no major damage was done. Trying to restack them in a way that they fit neatly below the box again didn't work very well. We'll take it out this weekend and see if they stay put.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

wpcv1776 wrote:... I'm just curious how bad she would list if we took them out completely. ...
If you know, or can determine, how much they weigh you could try putting a similar amount of weight on the opposite side of the boat and see how she reacts. Since they are loose, you can just weigh one and figure out what you have all total.

I know you are a diver, so a quick tangent: I worked in the scuba industry (dive shop and charters) for years and one of the instructors that I worked with had a business called "Weight & Sea" Would be an appropriate name for her :wink: What is her new name?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”