• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ac/dc Panels

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Ac/dc Panels

Post by Pete »

28te, When plugged into shore power do you turn battery switches on so the 12v fridge and cabin lights work?
Will the cabin lights work on shore power?do you use both panels at the same time?Are there cabin lights that are AC,only?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Ac/dc Panels

Post by Tree »

Unless it is listed as dual voltage (some 28's have a dual voltage fridge) then both panels work independently.

I tend to have my battery charger on when hooked up to shore power, that way everything running on dc is being supported by it.

I had a weekend away not so long ago where I had the fridge running for three days solid (this is one of the biggest consumers of electric for the dc as mine is dc only) but I had hooked up to the ac supply overnight.

Since I changed my setup to suit UK supply, moving over from 110v to 240v I also changed my charger, albeit a 10 amp smart charger in way of the 30 amp one that was fitted and so far I have had no issues whatsoever.

I have also changed items like the interior bulbs over to LED bulbs as this is an area of high power consumption, I've gone from 20 watt bulbs to 1.3 watt bulbs with no difference in the brightness.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

>>When plugged into shore power do you turn battery switches on so the 12v fridge and cabin lights work?<<

Probably, yes. Unless the battery switch wiring is unusual, if you don't turn the battery switches on, the fridge and cabin lights won't work.

>>Will the cabin lights work on shore power?<<

Only if you also turn on the battery switch(es) and the 12V panel switch (probably labeled "Cabin Lights").

>>do you use both panels at the same time?<<

Yes, we do.

>>Are there cabin lights that are AC,only?<<

Probably not unless they were added after the boat left the factory.

Don't be afraid to experiment until you understand how the power works.
Turn off all panel switches.
Turn off battery switches.
Plug in shore power cord and turn on power at the shore stanchion.
Turn on main switch for AC power.
Cabin lights won't work. Fridge won't work. 110V outlets won't work.
Turn on switch for AC outlets. 110V outlets will work.

Turn on battery switches.
Fridge and cabin lights don't work.
Turn on main DC switch.
Fridge and cabin lights don't work.
Turn on Cabin Lights switch.
Cabin lights work.

And so forth.

Test one thing at a time until you're clear how it's controlled. It's confusing at first if you're not familiar with this kind of setup, but you'll soon understand.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

There are two separate electrical systems and panels on your 28: 110Volt AC power just like your house .. runs off of shore power / and 12Volt DC power like your car .. runs off of the battery bank. Each has a series of electrical loads that they independently run.

AC 110 Volt Power Panel: "AC Main" will power up when plugged into shore power (a generator or an inverter if you have them) and will switch On and Off the switches on the AC Panel.

DC 12 Volt Power Panel: "DC Main" Power On will provide power to the switches on that panel and provide power to your helm's 12 volt panel & electronics This panel runs off of your on board batteries.

Controlling the 12 Volt DC Bank:
To provide DC 12 Volt power to the DC 12 Volt Power Panel the battery switch must be turned from OFF to 1, 2 or Both. You should have 2 sets of batteries. One is the House Battery or "House Bank" and the other is "Engine Start". Hopefully they are labeled on or near the switch to help you figure out your system. If not, you may have to turn the switch to OFF and disconnect one battery bank to figure out which is which. Some boats have more than one battery switch though the 28's were generally built with one switch working the House and Engine.

If your Fridge is only 12 Volt, when at the dock plug-in to shore power, turn on your AC Power Panel and leave your Battery Charger on. this will keep your 12 Volt batteries charged as your Fridge will be running off of them. My 28 had a 12 Volt only Fridge and it was on from spring launch until fall haulout for 12 seasons without issue running my system as described. Only run your House Battery when on the hook or at the dock. Save your Engine Battery for starting. This will give you some security that your boat will always start. To prevent dropout of electronics, you may want to turn your batteries to BOTH when starting your engine.

To be true to your application post a few pictures / AC Panel, DC Panel and your Battery Switch or Switches and we can dial you in.

In the picture below you will see the combination AC / DC Panel on the left side of the picture. By clicking on the picture you will get an expanded view.

The left side of the panel is AC Power. The AC MAIN switch is on and powering the AC power side and you can see that the AC outlets in the boat are ON.

The right side of the panel is DC Power. The DC MAIN switch is on and powering the DC power side and you can see that the Cabin Lights and Refridge are both on.

I hope that this all helps! 8) The panels to the right were for my generator and inverter power / essentially two additonal ways to power the AC MAIN beyond shore power.
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pete »

Thanks all! I will go experiment this weekend,,,can't wait to get to know the old girl,,Pete
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

You're welcome! Have fun! and come back with more questions. :D
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats