• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

range?

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

range?

Post by special k »

enjoying the offshore fishery, sharking, tuna trolling etc. interested in what other 28's are getting for range. last trip, fully loaded with fuel, gear, ice,chum and crew i got just under 1.5 nm per gallon (in big seas that day) and with only 135 gallon tank i'm limited. would like to really reach out to yellowfin productive areas but hailing from mystic, ct it will be a stretch. mine is a 2002 28te with the yanmar 6lp. chime in here and tell me what you're getting for range and how far you stretch it. i am a fan of the one third plan.
1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 troll/reserve.

cheers!, mick
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Re: range?

Post by John_Madison CT »

Your right at normal with the 1.5nm/gal rate. The only option is a fuel bladder. You can use the bladder to get out to the fishing grounds, such as the FISHTAILS, which would require about 50 gallons to get to.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

i hear you on that trip john. my crew would suggest that if i can hit fishtails with 50 then all should be good even with my 135. only need to get back to block, right? :roll:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Mick,

I am getting around 2.2 miles to the gallon, but thats imperial gallon not US obviously. A recent trip in flat calm waters and the tide carrying us there and back - over the course of the weekend we did 193nm. the journey there is about 60nm and with the tide we averaged 20.5 knots and about the same on the return leg. The fishing that weekend is drift fishing so you could say that all of the running while we were there was against the tide around the 15 knot mark.

On our return we were showing a needles width under 1/4 of a tank. We had three aboard my 2000 28 and my buddy had 5 aboard his 2005 28. He used around 25 gallons more than me due to the increased weight albeit his boat does 18 knots at 3100 rpm and mine is about 17.5 knots at 3350 rpm.

Between us we have started to log miles to the gallon and it seems that anything between 10 and 18 knots returns near enough the same mpg, but weight distribution and boat trim can make a difference.

I'll try and find the excel spreadsheet to upload so you might be able to gauge some ideas where the sweet spot is for yourself, for me its between 3300 and 3400 pushing just shy of the 18 knot mark that returns my best mpg. I guess the ride height of the boat is just right and has less drag at that speed.

For reference I have the 300 yanmar and my budy has the 315

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Mick, there are a number of fuel bladder companies out there, if you really want to make the trip with the comfort of knowing you have the range that might be a decent option. I've looked at these guys: http://www.atlinc.com/rangeextender.htm ... 7AodDkAAPA

Might be something to look into. An extra 50 gallons wouldn't take up too much room and you would use it to top off your main tank and then stow it, so it wouldn't get in the way while fishing.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

awesome, a bladder would put me at ease on longer trips. the 50 gallon fuel locker dimensions are 30"x30" and 14 high. now i need to B O A T.....bust out another thousand. i'm sure i can make good use of one plus they roll up when empty for easy storage.

cheers!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Glad to help Mick! :)

If you go ahead and pick one up can you post about your experiences?

One thing I read about in the articles on their website was a Captain who installed a secondary fill line so he didn't have to open the deckplate while at sea, thereby avoiding any chance of seawater in his tanks. But that may be overkill as you first get into it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

actually i'd like to tee into my fuel line under one of the smaller stern hatches. connect one line, turn a couple ball valves and let her fill. probably slow process thru fuel lines but takes seawater out of the process. will keep you updated....thanks
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

I have the same model yanmar in my 28 and found on a number of long cruises down the pacific coast that at a constant 2400 rpm I make 8 knots and get 2.5 nm per US gallon. There is a Yanmar/Albin chart that pretty acurately ties rpm to nm/gal.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

if i had to cruise at 8k i'd probably pull my hair out (lol). we're happier on plane, my sweet spot when loaded is 15-18knots at 3200-3400 rpm. time is a factor on my fishing expeditions.

when lightly loaded she can make 20-22knots in that sweet zone, all around that 1.5 nm per u.s. gallon.. wot gains little speed just higher burn rate

i'd love to see that chart for reference but as we all know each boat is different with her own personalities.
Jerryc
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gloucester Ma

Post by Jerryc »

Fully loaded for fishing 1.2-1.3 Nm pg. Menemsha to Atlantis and back burns just about 160 gallons. We carry 2 30gal jugs and return with 1/3-1/4 tank.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”