• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

mold

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

mold

Post by saltshaker28 »

on my 28 te I have developed mold spots on the original chalking that is around the hardtop and I cant get it off has anyone had to do this and if so how do you get mold spots off chalking?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: mold

Post by Russell »

On the Florida boat I recently purchased the caulking looked so bad I dug it out and replaced it with 3M 4000UV Polyether adhesive. The hard part was removing the old caulk but it was well worth it. The 4000UV looks great and flows out smoothly. None of the mold cleaners I used would work. It seems like the mold penetrates down into the caulk.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

how did you remove the old caulk
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Just to make sure we are talking about the same location, I replaced the seam where the pilot house joins the deck. I used a putty knife and a pocket knife to loosen the caulk on either side and then screwdrivers to pry it out. If you force the blade of the knife down the side of the caulk and hold it at the right angle you can pull it along the seam and free up a good section. I used a razor blade tool to get off the small amounts adhering to the sides and cleaned with acetone before applying the new caulk. It took the better part of a day to remove the old caulk. It takes almost an entire cartridge of caulk to fill the seam. You will want to recaulk immediately because if it rains water will leak in everywhere. The 4000UV is smooth and shiny and you will be really happy with the improvement.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

That is what I am talking about
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Just did the same on my 40 trawler. Big gap between the bridge and cabin top. 400 UV did the trick.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”