• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

air conditioner not working

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

got2dive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

air conditioner not working

Post by got2dive »

Ac on 31te froze up fan not blowing any ideas im away from home port
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: air conditioner not working

Post by DougSea »

If I'm reading this correctly your A/C evaporator is frozen (literally - covered in ice) and I'm assuming the fan is in fact running but not putting out any air.

This is generally a symptom of a low refrigerant level. Also, restricted airflow to the A/C unit can lead to this.

I'm currently having the same issue with my A/C. While I wait for the tech to show up and recharge it I have found that opening up the cover in front of the unit, increasing return air flow, helps prevent the problem. I also keep the temperature set up a bit higher so that the unit cycles off.

Finally, if it does freeze up, a brief run on the HEAT setting (if you have one) will eliminate the ice very quickly.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: air conditioner not working

Post by furball »

My unit has a setting that cycles it to a heat/defrost mode briefly to melt any accumulated frost or ice. Check your owners manual. Haven't used the setting but I've only had it freeze up once. We do keep an eye on the air flow on hot days and bump the thermostat up a bit when it's really hot.
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP

Return to “Albin Maintenance”