• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Core issues

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Core issues

Post by Pete »

Just took delivery of my 1996 28Te,Sanded the bottom apply paint and notice a shimmer by the bow thruster,turns out water is leaking out the joint between tube and hull, I cut hull open,core is rotten,no idea how they installed these so poorly at the factory,,unless it's a DIY gone wrong,anyone have this happen?
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: Core issues

Post by slimjim »

that sucks. Can you post some pictures? Sorry about this.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have not heard of anyone having this problem but it is something that a surveyor should have found. Perhaps you can get some compensation to have it professionally repaired.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Survey showed no issues,Surveyor says some areas of hull were inaccessible to test with moisture meter, since boat was wet from hauling results of exterior moisture readings are inconclusive, surveys are a waste of money,not sure who would be compensating me without suing someone (not my style),
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sorry to hear of this. This is a first, at least to me.

The area you mention is not inaccessible and if it is rotted as you say it would have been picked up when he tapped out the hull. He did sound the hull with a phenolic hammer, right? It is also 100% accessible from the interior.

I understand what you say about suing someone but you'd only be looking for compensatory damages to cover the cost of the repair, not looking to put the guy on the street or take his kids college savings... You should be compensated for this or at a bare minimum get a full refund for the cost of the survey which was clearly not worth whatever you paid for it.

Think about down the road, people are going to be paying this surveyor to protect their interests and things like this will get missed, it's just wrong. I would certainly address it with him. Everyone who takes someone's hard earned money to provide a service must be held to some reasonable standard.

Good luck with whatever road you go down..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

wow you had a survey done on the hull out of water? I have always had a survey hit the hull with a hammer to test the hull. If he did this and missed it (sounds like he missed it big time) then he needs to know about it so he does not make this mistake again.

What you do about it is your business.

You could have taken the boat out with family and friends, and had a problem. Not good. You paid him to do a hull check and he missed it. Sounds like its going to be an expensive repair. I wish you the best.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

I have made a repair with the help of a pro, we will use do a full evaluation of the hull this winter and drill holes into the core and make the repairs , RobS, I asked the surveyer to consider paying for the repair and refunding survey fee,I asked politely, I don't need any more stress, thanks all for your advice,
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Understood. Curious, what was his response to your requests?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i'd be interested in knowing who did the survey just so i don't get burned in the future. i'v had some items missed by surveyors but nothing as huge as yours. seems to be a large and inexcusable mistake. surveyors also carry error and omission insurance (or they should) pm me if you are not willing to share publicly.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Surveyors will NEVER find everything. The best they can do is a reasonable job. Some are better than others, plus they are very subjective. Some are better in certain areas than others.
Good luck with your law suit.
My opinion is that it is unreasonable to expect the surveyor to pay for the repair. Also if he agrees to refund the cost that is admission of fault, so I'd be surprised if he did that.
The issue sucks for you, but it sounds to me like the issue can be remedied. Patch now, fix permanent in the fall/winter.

I had a major leak in my keel that my surveyor did not find. It sucked for a while, but I was so busy doing the reapir that I put all my energy there, not hassling the surveyor. All that would have done was eat me up inside. I concentrated on moving forward.

Good luck!!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Update,I repaired her myself,did some maint, and she runs very well, I've put many hours on her already,love this boat, Pete
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

Pete wrote:Update,I repaired her myself,did some maint, and she runs very well, I've put many hours on her already,love this boat, Pete
AWESOME! ENJOY HER!

Return to “General Discussion”