• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Maryland and Virginia

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Maryland and Virginia

Post by wpcv1776 »

Hi Everyone! If all goes well we will take possession of our 31TE on Friday. But the trucking company can't pick up the boat until the 21st to move it to California. So rather than wait, we are taking ourselves to the boat for the week to spend some time on it. The boat is currently in Solomons, MD. The first day is docking practice, cruising around locally and getting familiar. Then, our maiden voyage will be a trip from Solomons, MD to Washington D.C. and back. We have never been on the Potomac before, so if any of you east coast people have favorite places along the way we'd love to know about them. Favorite marinas, restaraunts, anchorages or site seeing or anything else you feel like sharing.

We're experienced boaters, and this isn't our first extended trip, but if there are any poorly marked hazards, nasty currents, or other things that would catch an outsider by surprise; let us know about that stuff as well.

Blue Skies!
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: Maryland and Virginia

Post by crowra »

Recommend going to activecaptain.com. It's the Trip Advisor for boaters.

First stop: Tangier Island and stay at Parks Marina. Mr. Parks is a "Bay-Treasure" and there is a beautiful white sand beach at the southern end. Go on a week day if you can (probably much less tourists).

We have anchored in Smith Creek (first creek on the Potomac, north side before St. Marys River. Dinghy to Spinakers Restaurant/Mermaid bar - a nice dive.

After that, I can't give any real life experience. There's St. Marys City, Colonial Beach, Popes Creek (after Rt. 301 - Nice Bridge), National Harbor, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown Waterfront (free wall dock) and a ton of anchorages, marinas and restaurants.

Please share your trip since we want to cruise the Potomac next year.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Maryland and Virginia

Post by wpcv1776 »

Thanks crowra. I actually found activecaptain.com about ten minutes before you posted. What a great resource! I'm surprised we've never discovered it before. But in SoCal life is pretty simple for boaters. About a half dozen islands and about the same number of harbors on the mainland and you're done. It looks like you could cruise the Potomac for a few years without making every stop.

Return to “General Discussion”