• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Retrofit a 28 TE to one with Alaskan bulkhead

Deviant
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Puyallup WA

Retrofit a 28 TE to one with Alaskan bulkhead

Post by Deviant »

Looking at a 28 TE in the Washington area but it has the curtains in the back and the wife wants the Alaskan bulkhead style door. Not a deal breaker for me, but for her it is.

The boat was for sale in the Everett area but now in the Tri-Cities. Goes by the name of "Pole Dancer"..... and yes, the graphic on the back the wife has issues also :shock: .

Is there a place that sells a kit to enclose the back end to make the boat a true pilothouse?

Any information on the "pole dance" would be helpful also. Not sure why the owner moved it from Everett to the middle of the state.

Tim
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: Retrofit a 28 TE to one with Alaskan bulkhead

Post by slimjim »

It was a option and I think it was about a $5k option. I have one on mine you can buy and it has a new engine, gearbox and extras.........sorry no "pole dancer" on her! :)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Welcome aboard .. well almost :wink:

The hard backs were made by Aluminum 2000, a Pompanette Company .. same parent company as Bomar. I'm not sure if they will deal direct or if you would have to go through an Albin Dealer. I had the Alaskan Bulkhead on my 28 engine box and loved it.

Sorry that I can't help you with .... that Pole Dancer! :lol:

http://www.aluminum2000.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
PBK
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by PBK »

Checkout bellingham yacht sales - there is a flush deck with the alaskan bulkhead just posted.

PBK
Albin 28 TE
"Selkie"
1994 28TE - I/O
"Selkie"
Deviant
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Puyallup WA

Post by Deviant »

Thanks for the leads on the boats. One thing I forgot to mention is that we want to trailer this thing.
We fish all over. Halibut in spring off the coast, salmon off the coast late spring into early summer, and then tuna mid to late summer into October. With crabbing in between all of that. Then there is the wife and her relaxing cruising around Puget Sound.

The "Pole Dancer" has a trailer so that is a plus. The only negatives I see is that it has the Peninsular diesel (not really a negative depending on who you talk to), no Alaskan bulkhead, the stripper graphic and the interior was redone in vinyl (she would like fabric). The positive is that it already has the trailer and looking at the pictures it looks clean (I know that pictures can be deceiving....).

Thursday we we were at LaPush and at the dock there was "Sea Turtle" (I think that was the name). We looked at the boat at least from standing on the dock and we liked it for some features, but not so much for others. In the water it is a big and wide boat. Both the wife and I liked that. The cabin with the Alaskan bulkhead was big, but only really designed for two. The step out/over the engine cover I see as a tripping hazard. The rest of the deck has plenty of room to fish and work gear which is a plus.

On the way back yesterday we stopped in Port Townsend to take a break and walk a little. Stopped in the marina and just walked around looking at boats (we could do that all day). As we talked we saw what she really liked as well as mine. Some really nice boats there on the water. We took a stroll through the area above where there just happened to be "Explorer". An Albin that was out of the water possibly getting a new coat of bottom paint. Have to admit that you really do not understand the size of one of these until they are out of the water!

This coming Saturday we will take a spin on the "Pole Dancer". A huge concern is how it will tow and the launching and recovering. As far as my tow rig, 2004 Dodge 3500 diesel dually. Do understand that I will be limited to certain ramps, but I already fish those ports anyway.

Once I see this boat and how it handles, launches, etc I might make an offer. Would like to see a few more such as the flush deck, different motors, etc.
At LaPush I talked with a charter boat owner about the Albin and the Peninsular and he only knew of the one guy that just replaced both. Stated that they were stupid loud in the one larger Albin (35' I think, goes by the name of "Big Daddy") at the port, but was unsure about the sound level in the 28 TE. Another note he mentioned was like some have mentioned - "Don't get wrapped up in the this motor vs. that motor debate.....just plan for a repower no matter what engine you have. Some motors last a few hundred hours and others last a few thousand. Sooner or later you will repower with the same brand or switch to another. Cummins, Volvo, Yanmar or even the Peninsular all have their good and bad."

Until I take a look at the one this coming weekend I am on hold. Price of boat, taxes/licensing, trailer all play into the mix.

Tim
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Hello Tim --

It's been a while since I visited the site and thought I would add a few observations for consideration. I'm a Pacific coast cruiser that enjoys fishing and time on the boat with family.

My 1999 28 TE (w/engine cover) has an Alaskan bulkhead, Yanmar diesel and a custom aluminum boat trailer that I tow/launch with a Dodge (Cummins) 3500 (not dually). I've owned the Albin for six years during which time I've put 1200 hours on it which brings the original Yanmar up to 2100 hours. Most of the 1200 hours were on a cruise from San Diego to Cabo San Lucus followed by two months in the Sea of Cortez. Towing wise, the trailer has roughly 3000 miles on it.

My experience with the Alaskan bulkhead has been very positive as the enclosure keeps passengers warm on cool Pacific days and is definitely work the $5k. Passengers seem to quickly adjust to side stepping the engine cover.

Concerning the trailer design; specify that the tongue length be as long as possible while keeping your combined truck/trailer/boat length under 58' (no length permit req'd). The additional length really inproves launching and towing as well.

Engines: I had the opportunity to sea trial the 28 TE with a Cummins, Peninsular and Yanmar. The Yanmar was much, much quieter than the other two; so I went that direction. Since that time I have been incredibly impressed with the fuel efficency, dependability and power that the engine's multiple intercoolers and turbo provide. This Fall, for the second time since I've owned the boat, the engine will be getting a new timing belt as we prepare to go back to the Sea of Cortez this February. I will be really surprised if there aren't 3500 hours on this engine in another five years.

Darryl

Your note covers a number of subject
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”