• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35TE

pstruzzi
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: lighthouse pt., FL

35TE

Post by pstruzzi »

I took a 35 TE out the other day that I am considering buying
It has the a Yanmar 420
It cruise at 14 knts and got up to 19
Problem at 3200 rpm motor really started to heat up and put a lot of steam out of exhaust
Q's
Has anyone had this issue ?
What is your cruising speed?
What is you top speed?
Does she overheat at this RPM leve?
Thanks for any responses!!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 35TE

Post by RobS »

The 6LY2 s a 3,300 rpm engine. Was 3,200 your WOT? Per Yanmar Propeller Matching Sheet she should be propped to hit 3425-3525 at WOT throttle with the boat loaded as you use it. This will ensure that she will not become overloaded when weight or bottom growth is added. Also, on a boat in that speed range running in a big following sea will add load. Once she is hitting those target numbers I think then you'd want to run her around 2,800 or so and find a sweet spot. Of course you'd want to photo-tach to confirm the ship's tach is accurate (which Yanmar factory ones never are) and be sure all else is up to snuff on the fuel and air side of the engine.

As far as the temp, overheating or climbing? Does it creep up say from 180 - 200 and then stabilize or does it want to keep climbing until she gets into overheat range? Either way, sounds like you need to go through the entire seawater side of the engine. You can start with a Rydlyme flush but that does not take the place of removal and proper cleaning of all the seawater cooling components.

Good luck.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Rob S. is correct on all counts.

With a clean bottom, the proper coolant and a very clean raw water side you should be able to run at full throttle for as long as the owner's manual says you should with no appreciable increase in temperature.

I would not buy a boat without a successful wide open throttle test...10-15 minutes at WOT. And I don't think that I would settle for less than having the heat exchangers and coolers removed for cleaning.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

The 35te is a large boat for the single screw. It will do fine. A lot depends on how you use the boat. Personally, I would be very confront-able with the single in the 31te. However, you are adding considerable weight with the 35te so twins are nice. Having said that the costs of maintaining twins is simply double. There is something to be said about the safety of second engine as a back up to get you home and when docking they are great.
I would have no problem otherwise with the single screw as long as it will do the job you want. Understand this was not actually your question, but I did not notice the 420 single in a big boat.
whwells "Howard"
pstruzzi
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: lighthouse pt., FL

Post by pstruzzi »

thanks for the info folks all taken into consideration
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

seasalt wrote:... I don't think that I would settle for less than having the heat exchangers and coolers removed for cleaning.
Understood and agreed.

But on the flip-side, mid-season up here in the northeast I would settle, the season is just too darn short to start taking things apart if you can buy yourself a couple months which I think a Rydlyme flush could certainly do in a couple hours. Plus with our looooooong winters tearing everything apart, taking the time going though it all, etc. would be a nice past time. However, if the passages are blocked with old impeller pcs or something else is going on then all bets are off for sure regarding a flush.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Rob,

It's hotter than the hinges on the gates of Hades where Pstruzzi and I live this time of the year. I understand your situation, however.

We have four seasons...summer...summer...summer and summer so plenty of time to pull parts off.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I'm on board with the seawater side needing service. It's probably one of the most overlooked services that owners do not perform. a boat that is 7+ years old and especially with the lower number of hours is due or overdue for a tear down / service. Marine age means more than hours run. When I purchased my 31 I was not able to get the owner to do this work, but did negotiate a reduction for parts and labor to accommodate it and I'm glad I did. I stripped the saltwater side and cleaned all parts, replaced the t-stat and coolant. Don't forget the generator too.

Here's a picture of the intake blockage of the heat exchanger with 679 hours on the clock of an '06 build that was running at spec'd temp:
5.10.2014 HE intake blockage 3.jpg
All turned out fine on my end with this work, but when you take on service there is always a risk of some parts needing to be replaced. Try to negoriate the seller doing the work or add some buffer for the unkown. If you don't spend it on this service , you're guaranteed to spend it elsewhere .. it is a used boat.

Best of luck going forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”