• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

getaweigh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: New Bern, North Carolina

Bow thruster

Post by getaweigh »

We are new Albin (32 Sportfisher) owners. We have been told by some people to be wary of overusing, and tiring or wearing out, our bow thruster. People have said we should limit our use of the bow thruster to avoid having it fail from overuse. This seems like it is, or might be, good advice. Our question is, what constitutes overuse? We use our thruster to operate in tight conditions, primarily in leaving our slip and getting out of our marina, and coming back in; also in raftup situations. Anybody have any knowledge of what constitutes good use of a bow thruster and what constitutes overuse?
Thanks very much for your help to the newbies.
Bob and Kathy Fortenbaugh
Get Aweigh
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Bow thruster

Post by DougSea »

On the Vetus website most of the thrusters are spec'd as 4-5 minutes, continuous, per hour. The longest I can recall ever using mine (in our 28) was about 90 seconds while using it to do a 180 turn after a soft grounding.

It's unlikely you'd overuse it in normal maneuvering.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Agreed. You have it to use when you need it. Learn to maneuver without it as much as possible in case it doesn't work, but use it if you need it.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

Make sure you know where the fuse is located and get a spare... Had to order through Vetrus... I was out on a cruise and the fuse blew ,looked for an hour for the fuse and finally found it tucked up and out of the way !!!
Kevin Guilfoyle
New Bern N.C.
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

I don't use mine much and if I do its no more than 10 seconds at a time or as little as possible. I keep my electronics off when using my thruster.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

What they mean by over use is continuous running. Just avoid running it for longer than a few seconds at a time, unless you're in some difficult situation that warrants it. Also, don't use it instead of the rudder to steer the boat. You laugh, but I've seen people do that.

Regular use is actually good for it, just like everything else on your boat.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

The limited use has worked for me as well. In fact lack of use may lead to issues as well. As the comments suggest it is not the frequency of the use as it is the length and short burst are better.
Be aware they have a need for service as well.
whwells "Howard"
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

Swabby, I have a sports fisher 32 like you. My bow thruster gave out and I had to replace it with a Vetus model 60. The weak part is the lower unit. I found that some parts are available for the old unit and some are not. On my thruster the seals went bad and then the bearings went bad and then the gears failed. The seals and bearings were cheap and fairly easy to replace for a good mechanic. If I had changed these parts I would still have the old unit. It was much more powerful than the new one. I took my perfectly good motor the the recycle deposit.

If you are loosing oil from the reservoir change the seals and bearings.

Good luck
John
Passages 3

Return to “General Discussion”