• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hydraulic struts for 2000 Albin 28TE motor cover

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

netsailer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dunedin Marina, Florida

hydraulic struts for 2000 Albin 28TE motor cover

Post by netsailer »

I recently purchased a 2000 Albin 28 in pretty decent condition except for a few things. One of which is the fact that it came without the struts to hold up the cover. Does anyone know what size struts they are, and where they can be purchased>>>

Another problem is that the gauge that reports fuel consumption and (apparently) gallons in the tank doesn't work. The boat came with a new aluminum tank. It looks like they just put back the old fittings on the tank. The marina mechanics say that the screw placement on the old fitting does not match any of the replacement parts they know of. Not clear who made the fitting that is attached to the tank itself. Anyone have any suggestions on this???

thanks

Dave Chiriboga (a fairly new member)
Western Way
Largo, Florida
Sandiegowildcat
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Diego

Re: hydraulic struts for 2000 Albin 28TE motor cover

Post by Sandiegowildcat »

Dave,
When I am down on my boat I will check to see. I seem to recall some markings on those lift mechanisms. Might be a week or two before I get there.
Ken Connor
2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"California Promises"
San Diego, CA
netsailer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by netsailer »

Thanks Ken. I reviewed past emails on struts and found that the right ones appear to be Attwater gas springs SL26 (tho one post said SL25). I have ordered a pair, with 90 lb pressure (you can ask for any amount from 30 pounds to over 100). A remaining potential issue is that the end fitting for that spring has a 10 mm socket. I think that is what is on the boat, but didn't have a metric ruler. Its kind of a pain that the boat did not have the struts, so cannot use existing ones as a guide!! Dave
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

You have the right brand. I just had mine replaced last year. There was a very helpful post a couple of years ago or more about using a spacer between the engine box and the hardware for the struts. The soundproofing tends to push against the strut making it pop off the ball joint. By using a piece of plywood or other building material and extending the strut out a little, you take the pressure off. See if you can find that post for more info. Good luck.
netsailer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by netsailer »

thanks. I noticed that the ball joints had spacers (except one ball joint is missing). When I get the gas springs -- and if they fit-- I will send all the specs to the board.
netsailer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by netsailer »

summing up, for my year 2000 Albin 28 TE I purchased Attwater gas springs (SL26, with 90 Lb pressure). I switched out the stock spacers, which were 1 inch thick, for two inch thick. Seems to work very well, and the springs do not seem affected by the soundproofing material.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Glad you got it worked out ok. Thanks for sharing the update.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”