• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Holding Take vent odor filter

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

egauthier@ec.rr.com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern NC

Holding Take vent odor filter

Post by egauthier@ec.rr.com »

fILTER lOCATION IMG_3293.JPG
Filter IMG_3288.jpg
I have an Albin 30 FC. The odor filter on the vent for the holding take needs replacement. It is located high up under the starboard side gunnel (picture attached).
Has anyone changed this filter? How did you get access to it. I have considered installing an access panel under the throttle but am very reluctant to cut the panel
without knowing what else is behind it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Peter Gauthier
KP Duty - New Bern, NC
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Holding Take vent odor filter

Post by Russell »

This looks similar to my 28 flush deck where the tackle box to the right (aft) of the helm will come out giving access to many things including the holding tank filter. Mine has screws and a gasket to seal.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Bill R
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Toronto

Post by Bill R »

I just replaced the filter on my 28 FD last week by removing the tackle box unit. Didn't know I had a filter until I removed the drawer unit to replace the duck bill valves in the vacuum head. It took some pressure to break the seal around the unit but other than that no problem. It provided good access and it was an easy exchange.
egauthier@ec.rr.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Holding Tank vent odor filter

Russell wrote:This looks similar to my 28 flush deck where the tackle box to the right (aft) of the helm will come out giving access to many things including the holding tank filter. Mine has screws and a gasket to seal.
Thank you for the reply.

I think my 30FC and your 28 are identicle in this area. It would have been nice if the tackle box
was designed for quick removal. A fifteen miniute task is now an hour or so.

Peter
Peter Gauthier
KP Duty - New Bern, NC
egauthier@ec.rr.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill R wrote:I just replaced the filter on my 28 FD last week by removing the tackle box unit. Didn't know I had a filter until I removed the drawer unit to replace the duck bill valves in the vacuum head. It took some pressure to break the seal around the unit but other than that no problem. It provided good access and it was an easy exchange.
Thank you for the reply.

I think my 30FC and your 28 are identicle in this are. It would have been nice if the tackle box
was designed for quick removal. A fifteen miniute task is now an hour or so.

Peter
Peter Gauthier
KP Duty - New Bern, NC
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

From what I have read the holding tank vent filters are not a good idea. They don't allow fresh air in the holding tank which leads to anaerobic bacterial growth which is what causes the odor in the first place. Plenty of fresh air through the vent line, providing it is big enough, will inhibit anaerobic bacterial growth and allow aerobic bacteria to grow (anaerobic bacteria cannot live in an oxygen rich environment) resulting in no smell. There is a lot of info online about this and you can save a few bucks in the process. Just my 2 cents
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

It's not just your 2 cents, that is also the opinion of Peggy Hall who is the "queen of poop", the authority of boat poo poo systems.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”