• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flush deck engine service

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Savannah, GA.

Flush deck engine service

Post by bobm »

I posted the question about low compression and valves. But my real question is does the volvo engine in a Flush deck have to be removed in order to remove the head and service the valves or can it be done in the boat? Sorry for the extra post but my first one was too vague.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Flush deck engine service

Post by RobS »

I'm an engine box owner, never worked on a flush deck. From what I remember in seeing some pics the port side of the engine is pretty well tucked under the helm deck up against the inside wall of the aft bunk, right? Can you post some pictures? I'm sure some FD owners will chime in. Pulling the engine has many benefits so don't think of it as a bad thing.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bobm »

RobS,

pulling the engine appears to involve about 36 hours labor so it is an expensive operation. besides pulling the head for rpairs what other benefits should i hope to recieve. The front port mount is very hard to access. my guess iis the yard may have tocut the bolt and I will need to replace the front mounts. i still don't understamd how with 1 cylinder malfuctioning I see no smoke and the speed and RPM are what you would expect from a healthy engine. Any thoughts ?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Unless you have the highest trust in this mechanic you might want to get another opinion before spending a lot of money. It seems a little unusual for the engine to be performing so well with a bad cylinder.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Russell wrote:Unless you have the highest trust in this mechanic you might want to get another opinion before spending a lot of money. It seems a little unusual for the engine to be performing so well with a bad cylinder.
I agree with this - These engines are bomb proof and to lose compression on a cylinder does seem very odd.

Hour many hours is it on now?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bobm »

engine was built in 2004 and has almost 1500 hrs. Had the 1200 hr service done in fall 2013. The only symptom has been a vibration between 1100and 1250 rpm.
The Vodia computer revealed the compression was low in that cylinder so i had a borescope done on it and they say that cylinder walls have scoring on them. A small amount of cross hatching nearthetop but what he calls significant scoring elsewhere. i don't distrust the honesty of themechanic but I don't think he has much experience with Vovos
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

The Volvo website shows 5 authorized dealers in your area. You might be able to look online for reviews or ask around to find the best one. It might be well worth it to get a mechanic very familiar with this engine. If the sides are scored why does he say it is a valve problem?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bobm »

That was his initial guess but when the other mechanic borescoped it he saw the scoring. There appears to be some pitting in the surface of the top of the piston. Apparently the cylinder must have gotten really hot. I have read that some have had problems with melting pistons onthis engine. Usually #6 and sometimes #1. Speculation is overfilled with oil or injector dumps so much fuel it rinses away the lubrication. Haven't heard any verification of either. I am getting the injector checked. I wonder if that is found defectiveif I should replace it and keep running the engine. Mechanics say the scoing can't be fixed due ther being no cylinder sleeve. They think I will have to replace the block.
Since i don't have obvious performance issues or smoke, only some slight shaking between 1100 and 1280 rpm it,s hard see that I would have to just scrap the engine. If I can identify the original cause and rectify it maybe the engine could still be run. Any thoughts?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I would contact Volvo to see if they will offer any help in what seems like a factory defect. This is way too early for something like this to occur if the maintenance has been performed properly. If they will not help I would check the injectors as you plan and then take out towing insurance and keep operating until it fails completely. If it is not burning oil it may last many more hours before you have to do something. I hope you get this resolved.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

That is a common rail engine, right? What is your fuel filtration setup?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

http://m.volvoforums.com/forum/showthre ... &styleid=5

I seem to remember that the D3 and D4 engines had problems with raw water entering the combustion chamber but was on the understanding the D6 was one of the best engines Volvo made despite the pin like valve stems.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”