• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

LD28 not starting

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey mooring

LD28 not starting

Post by EZC »

Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I have a 27SC and can't get it to start. I had it out and it suddenly quit. There had been some surging but being a new boat to me I was trying to get a feel for what was normal. I had bled it once before after I changed a filter and it started right up. This time I am not getting fuel to the injectors. I have not cracked any bleeders on the pump because I don't have a owner's manual and the one I found online is automotive and a little different from my engine. I did read something about a IP belt that is sometimes the cause. Any advise?
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: LD28 not starting

Post by eseyoung »

Crack an injector...

is there fuel when you crank?

If it was surging i would bet your filter is plugged. check the bowl do you have pretty red fuel of something that looks like road tar?

the marine version is closer to the industrial version...our pumps are gear driven.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

#1 first thing to check is the injector pump drive belt. It is under a sheet metal cover on the front of the engine. I was a Nissian tech back in the early 90s when a good many of the Maxima's with the same engine were on the road. That is about the only thing that caused them to be towed in. By the way on the LD28M it is due to be replaced every 1200 hours. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Panhdjoe »

Oh I forget to mention the surging can be caused by the belt jumping 1 tooth before it stripes out more teeth. also usually accompanied by black smoke.
1983 36 classic
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Panhdjoe »

Opps sorry to post again but I thought it important, My LD28M "KIPPY GRIL" injection pump was defiantly not gear driven. IT HAS A BELT. I am not trying to be ugly and mean no offence and apologize if any is taken. I had the repair manual for the Indusial version an used it when I replaced mine. The camshaft is gear and chain drive, but the injection pump is a toothed belt. I am 100% Shure.
1983 36 classic
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

Joe...you are correct. I was incorrect. the belt is under the cover.
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

Thanks for the posts, I was out of town for a few days. I changed the filter, the old one was a little dirty but I thought it would be a lot worse. I brought the boat out from Florida and not having a lot of history on the boat I thought I would polish the fuel before I put any hours on the boat. So I have been polishing the fuel all winter. At this time it looks pretty good. I checked the solenoid on the injector pump and that was working. I'm getting fuel to the pump but not the injectors. It does seem like it probably is the IP belt. I was talking to a guy that seemed pretty knowledgeable on diesels and he thought you might be able to put a gauge on the pump to see if the pump is working. I have the mechanic coming this week to take a look. I ordered the parts for replacing the belt figuring I should have those on hand anyway. Thanks for all the input it really helps having that feedback.
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

Also does anyone know where to get parts for the LD28? So far I can get the belt but no luck on gaskets and thought If I'm in there replacing the belt maybe the pulley-tensioner as well but its not available.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

Try a Nissan car parts dealer...just tell them its for a 1983 Maxima diesel.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”