• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Broken Fuel Tank Brace

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Broken Fuel Tank Brace

Post by jetter »

I have discovered that the aft starboard L bracket on my tank is broken. Has anyone had this happen and what method was used to secure the tank? Photo attached. On a good note..... splashed the boat today. 40F. Has to warm up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russell
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Broken Fuel Tank Brace

Post by eseyoung »

I am sure that someone will disagree with me on this but it has been done many times without incident. WELD IT

if it were mine i would cut a piece of angle and replace the broken one. Or maybe just as good, i guess you could try to weld the old on back together.

YES, you can weld on a Diesel tank. Make sure it is full...NOT empty. If that makes you nervous the alternative is to empty it and fill it with some inert gas then weld.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I would also have it welded in place. As long as there is a good bit of fuel in the tank it will be fine, the fuel will absorb the heat. I'd be more concerned about starting any wood on fire from sparks than I would the fuel.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

Opinion is after inspection by numerous "experts" the that tank will have to be removed and new brace welded in place and tank reinstalled. Has anyone removed a tank on a 28TE? Is this going to be a major undertaking?
Russell
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

These experts...they are charging you by the hour to repair this right?

Seriously, I think you are looking at a ton of work...i just got a tour of a TE this weekend and if memory serves there is no way that tank is coming out with taking a saw to fiberglass.

Call your local welding shop...not marine mechanic and have him take a look. from the picture it looks like a 30 minute fix.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Not true, that tank should come right out by unscrewing the rear deck. It will take longer to clean the sealant off of the perimeter of rear deck panel and the deck opening then it will to get the tank out, if you so desire..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”