• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing a windlass questions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Installing a windlass questions

Post by Nepidae »

I am going to be installing a windlass.
I purchased a Loftrans Tigres with a gypsy and capstan to go on our 43’ Albin Sundeck with a ‘normal’ Albin bow pulpit. I plan to only use 1 anchor, a newly purchased 55# Rocna which is on the bow now. I do have a 25# plow which was our only anchor until we purchased the Rocna which I plan to put about 150’ of 1/2” rode on for a stern anchor or a lunch hook that I would just throw over the side and attach to a cleat.
I have 2 power cables, look like 10G and 2 wires that look to be 12-14G that run from the distribution panel (they currently are not connected) forward in the bilge to the anchor locker and up by the Sampson post on the starboard side into a hole above the head liner above the v-berth by the hatch to the chain locker.
When I purchased the windlass I also purchased a 150A circuit breaker.
I have a few questions;
1) Does anyone know if the power cables are attached to anything above the headliner? I tried pulling them out and they aren’t going to be removed through the hole easily.
2) If I were to cut them at the hole and attach them to a bus block/circuit breaker in the chain locker (on the Samson post) and then go up thru the deck to get power to the windlass would that be acceptable?
3) Where should the circuit breaker be installed?
4) What size power cables should be connected to the windlass?
5) I have a 15A circuit breaker, labeled Windlass, on the distribution panel. Should that be used in the configuration?
6) There were 2 pad switches with the windlass, any suggestions as to where the safest place to put them would be. I want to keep my mates hands as far away as possible.
7) The windlass fits in the middle of the anchor pulpit but using the gypsy the chain won’t be directly over the hole to the chain locker. I don’t have wash down yet so I was just planning on leaving chain, which now is about 5’ (I have 50’available) and rode (250’ of 8 braid) on the deck to wash down later. Thinking down the road would a ‘diverter tube’ work in this instance to direct chain and rode down the hole of the chain locker?
Guess that’s it for now. Would appreciate any input that is germane to the task at hand.
Thank you.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
twenham

Re: Installing a windlass questions

Post by twenham »

A 150 amp circuit breaker is way to large for that size wiring. I have 6 gauge wiring running over 30 feet one way and use a 60 amp circuit breaker and that is marginally too big. There is a Blue Sea App for Android phones called Circuit Wizard. It will recommend wiring and breaker sizes for what you are wiring. Too big a breaker for the wire will cause a fire! Better safe than sorry. I hope this helps. Tim
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Circuit length should be calculated on a round trip. Thus a 30 foot run to the device from the battery should be calculated on a 60 foot run when evaluating the circuit breaker and the wiring size, as well as the device current draw requirements…

Hope this helps,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
CayoHueso
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cayo Hueso

Post by CayoHueso »

twenham wrote:A 150 amp circuit breaker is way to large for that size wiring. I have 6 gauge wiring running over 30 feet one way and use a 60 amp circuit breaker and that is marginally too big. There is a Blue Sea App for Android phones called Circuit Wizard. It will recommend wiring and breaker sizes for what you are wiring. Too big a breaker for the wire will cause a fire! Better safe than sorry. I hope this helps. Tim
Great tip on the app!
Thanks!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”