• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Above waterline leak at cabin corner and walkway

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Above waterline leak at cabin corner and walkway

Post by Pitou »

As an aside, in my local travels I drove by Wine Down on Thursday and she polishes up nicely! She's a very fine looking vessel.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 6LY2A-STP

Post by RobS »

dmorlo52 wrote:Rob,

I meant the 6LY2A-STP.

David
Winedown
Serial numbers M56928 (circa 2005) and below are subject to failure of the intake valves due to the material the valve was constructed of. A re-manufactured head (with inconel valves) is approx $3,000 plus a $700 gasket set and 8-10 hours labor.

The problem is a real problem if the boat is propped on the edge from the factory and then quickly gets overloaded once the dirty bottom and the owners gear, etc is all added. Running her hard in these conditions is the end all. The problem was most noted in the Fountains, Formulas and Hinckley's (jet drive), all boats that owners were likely in that particular boat because of the need for speed, hence they were likely ran hard as the norm. Yanmar tachs are known for being optimistic (reading high), hence without a photo tach an owner may not have realized she was over propped.

Overloading leads to high EGT which weakens the valve and the face can come off dropping down into the cylinder. This motor has a thin cylinder wall and is not bore-able so if this valve failure occurs the block has to go.

If I owned that motor I would:
- Install a turbocator (EGT & Boost)
- Install an Aetna digital tach (accurate to +/- 1 rpm)
- Prop her to hit 100++ over rated rpm when FULLY loaded
- Run her with care

I would also hopefully get the boat at the right price and swap out the head to get the inconel valves in there for total piece of mind. You can also just get the valves and components from Mack Boring "IF" you have a local machine shop you'd trust your $30K engine to. I don't..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
dmorlo52
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New London, CT

Re: Above waterline leak at cabin corner and walkway

Post by dmorlo52 »

Rob,

I went to Mack Borings diesel engine class for 3 days 2 weeks ago and I drilled them about the valve issue and I gave them the engine S/N 56077 and they told me not to worry about this engine. What else would the manufacturer say?
Anyway we sea trialed the boat last Saturday and after proper warm up I gradually brought her up to 3300 and put it down all the way and it topped out slightly over 3400 on the installed tach. The water is still quite cold up in MA and after running for about and hour at various RPM she did not pass 175 degrees. The original prop on this boat was larger and when Steven bought it he had it repropped and she seams to like it. I believe based on records the boat/engine has been maintained properly so I will cruise her down to New London this week end. This boat when 3 years old went to key west and back with the original prop and I think if the valves were an issue it would have appeared then. 935 hours on her now and I will probably remove the injectors in the fall and send them to Mack Boring for teardown, inspection and rebuild. Will also clean saltwater side of engine and heat exchangers with rydlyme as recommended by MB. It was a great class and I know I can maintain the motor with no problem.

I will look into have the EGT/boost gage installed and a digital tach. I also want to install a flow-scan system. I will let you know how our trip to NL goes.

Thanks for your recommendations.

David
Albin 35TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”