• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Motors out, now what?

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Motors out, now what?

Post by RobS »

Nicely done. What you have done has value in the fact that you're boat is that much better now AND the working knowledge that you have acquired is invaluable in itself. I noticed the ss collar at the pss rotor, nice. I'd replace the tranny coupler with new and have the shaft checked at the machine shop and they can fit and face the new coupler to the shaft. What is that connector in the bottom of the last photo that looks like a 4 pin trailer connector?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

Thanks. Great idea on the shaft and tranny coupler. I will replace the coupler and have the shaft checked. The four pin connector is the wiring harness for the old motor. I will have a new one with the new motor. As you saw, I did purchase the pss colar as your suggested and bought the kit to replace the o-rings and the set screws. You are so right, I learned a lot by tearing everything out and replacing it. I have a much better understanding of how it all works.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Well, the motor is finally going in. Here is a picture of the new motor, transmission and gauges.

I ran into a small snag when I found out that my shaft was bent. I had no idea it was bent since I never felt any vibration on the boat. At any rate, I sent that shaft and coupler to a machine shop so they could calibrate both together. Once the motor is in, I will begin detailing the inside and outside of the boat. However, I do have one question, I removed the floor panel above the gas tank to check the tank for leaks I noticed that the caulking/silicone used to seal the panel came off very easily. Does anyone know exactly what caulking/silicone is used for that? I heard 4200 then someone else suggested a combination of silicone and some poly substance. Has anyone done this before? I would appreciate your input.

I will post more pictures once the entire project is completed. So far, just about every item on that boat is brand new.

Have a great evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

rcornejo wrote: Does anyone know exactly what caulking/silicone is used for that? I heard 4200 then someone else suggested a combination of silicone and some poly substance. Has anyone done this before? I would appreciate your input.

I will post more pictures once the entire project is completed. So far, just about every item on that boat is brand new.

Have a great evening.
Go with what "someone else" suggested. See this recent post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7220
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks Rob. Rick, an Albin owner at Jamestown Distributors, suggested Life Seal. It sounds like that is what they are talking about on the post. I also think that is what was there before but could not tell for sure. It was very easy to remove but very durable. Thanks again for your input.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

We changed all our thru hulls (13) to bronze when we had our engine out. Having the engine out helped to reach the hard to get ones.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”