• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member in Northern California

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Noyo Harbor Fort Bragg, CA

New Member in Northern California

Post by DougA »

Hello Albin Owners Group... Our kids are launched, we became boatless last August, I retired in December, and I am presently seeking the next boat. I have been researching the Albin 28TE and am very interested in its combination of diesel inboard power, accommodations for both fishing and cruising, seakeeping, and towable (barely!). (My wife especially likes to fish!)

However we have never experienced a 28TE in the flesh. We live in a small town about 150 miles north of San Francisco and our port has no Albins, 28TE or otherwise. I know of a 28TE for sale in Oxnard CA (500 mi south) and one in Anacortes WA (800 mi north). Before traveling that far, we hope to get a basic experience of the boat closer to home. Is there a 28TE for sale closer to us? Or is there an owner in Northern California who might be willing to give us a quick look if we are in the area? (We travel to the SF Bay area every month or two...)

I am very impressed with the quality of this AOG Board!
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: New Member in Northern California

Post by whwells »

Doug: Should be able to put you in touch with one of 3 28te owner's I know in Brookings, Or. All three trailer. One lives locally there and is the guy who sold me my Osprey. Was just by the Brookings Harbor Marina. None of the
Albins have yet made the spash.
I am in Anacortes until Thur. Want me to look at the boat here for you. I know of a 28te with the Beast engine forsale. It looks very clean if that is the one.
My home is in Trinidad to your north. Send me a PM if you want me to look at the Anacortes boat for you.
Keep my Albin here for the Puget Sound crusing.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher LS Frybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug: There is a 2002 just on the market in Vancouver, BC by member Brad. He is the AOG member who assisted me in bringing Nibbles down from Richmond, BC to Anacortes, Wa. as I had then had no Puget Sound boating experieance.
I can tell you he is 100% trustworthy and you can accept the boat as listed ias in excellent condition. It is not difficult to bring a registered Canada boat into the country.
On the way back from Anacortes I did stop at Brookings Marina. One of the 28te engine box model is already in the water. Of the three there one is active on AOG and one the person I purchased my local Osprey fishing boat from.
Do you still need help getting out on one of the 28te?
whwells "Howard"
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougA »

Hi Howard- Yes, we still have not seen a 28 TE in person, so it would be great if my wife and I could get see one (or more!) in Brookings. We would also be helpful to talk with owners about their likes and dislikes of the 28TE. If we decide that is the boat model for us, then we can pursue more distant 28's that are for sale.

I have sent you a couple of private messages including my email address. Did you get them? Thank you again for helping us. Doug
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

DougA: Your PM's have not arrived. Surprising in that there has been no difficulty in the past. Will see if I can determine when the other 28te owner's will be in the water. Try your PM again. Howard
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Post by Rx-scape »

Is there not a Albin 28TE in the boat basin? I have not been there after the tidal wave but on D or E dock the owners name excapes me but he keeps it covered with a green full fabric cover. There is a 25 Albin in the area that the owner will keep in the harbor during Salmon or tuna season.
I have Rx-scape in Bodega Bay at Spud Point marina we had 6 Albins when I moved it from Fort Bragg, now there is only 2 of us.

Lee
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

RxScape: It was a little surprise to me there are no current 28te in the Bodega Bay Harbor. Their have been a few for sale in the SF and East Bay area from time to time. The Classic 25 or 27' would be a very different boat than what DougA is looking for. As soon as I know the Brookings Albin's are in the water will see if I can get them a viewing and ride. I do know the owner's there as my former Luhrs was at the Brookings Docks for 3 years.
We also will have several at the Roche Harbor, Wa Rendezvous for any Albin owner's or prospective owner's interesting in coming up for the July 11-12 meet.
It is a long haul but the Puget Sound area is special and we have had a great time the past 3 years. It is not necessary to bring a boat-although one of the Brookings 28te owner is hoping to make it this year. I know they have previously towed their boat up the Puget Sound area for vacation.
whwells "Howard"
Trinidad, Ca.
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougA »

Rx-Scape, thanks for the response. There have been no 28TE's in Noyo for at least the last three years when we berthed our Sea Ray there (sold it last August). And yes there is a 25 there. The 25 is cool but does not meet our current needs. In summer 1981, we rented a Albin 25 for several days to see the Gulf Islands, Butchart Gardens etc. The size (for just us), layout and fuel economy were great. However the motor noise and roll (a bit scary when a sea quickly rose) were not so great (especially with infant daughter on board). Overall we did have have a great time in it.
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA
pkdiver
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brookings, Oregon

Post by pkdiver »

Doug,
I just sent Howard an PM with my contact information. I have a 2005 Albin 28 Flush Deck Model that will be in the water in a couple of weeks in Brookings. I would be glad to show it to you and your wife. They are great boats, very well built and very sea worthy. We use ours primarily for fishing and cruising and I do some diving. We stay on it on the weekends as we live in Grants Pass, Or which is 100 miles away.
I was down in your area a week and a half ago ab diving. I used to do quite a bit of ab and scuba diving out of Albion when we lived in the Eureka 15 years ago.
I mentioned to Howard that I knew someone that had a 28 Albin in 1999 that he kept down in the Noyo Harbor but I don't know what ever came of him and coincidently his name was also Doug. I'll let you know when we get the boat in the water and then a couple of weeks after it is in would be good for you to come up if you want to.
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougA »

Thanks pkdiver. Just sent you a PM; can you let me know whether or not you received it? There was some difficulty with my PM's reaching Howard.
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA
pkdiver
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brookings, Oregon

Post by pkdiver »

Hi Doug,
I did receive it yesterday and replied back to you with my contact information. Let me know if you didn't receive it.
Pete
DougA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougA »

Got it, though your email address is scrambled so I don't have that. I think the board automatically disallows email addresses and the "at" character causes the scrambling of adjacent characters.

I'll give you a call in next few days. Doug
Doug A.
96 28TE "Chinook"
Fort Bragg CA

Return to “New Member Introductions”