• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sad day for an Albin owner

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Sad day for an Albin owner

Post by whwells »

Ron: The Name. How about "Lost Cause" or "Down the River" although it already has been called "Sad Day". Maybe, someone can get the real name. It could be important after someone trys to salvage.
Howard
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

I know that you were being facetious , but there is only one "lost cause" which is a Shamrock and no " down the river" in the Coast Guard data base. ;-)

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

SALVAGE THE FLYBRIDGE: While someone may try to put this boat back together I would not. If you have ever tried to bring back a car or boat that had serious water damages it is futile expectation. The wiring will turn green and be a problem forever. All the soft stuff will be wiped as well and of course all the metal.

However, the flybridge seems to be intact. It will go on any 35te hardtop with some work. Since the flybridge series is so much fun to operate it would be a worthwhile endevaor if the owner's insurance company is reasonable.

Just a thought for the hardtop owner's.

Howard
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

While visiting some friends at Wagners Marina in Atlantic Highlands, NJ I found the sunken Albin blocked up in that yard. The name is "Eveready" (not really appropriate) out of Point Judith. Rumor has it that wasn't the first time the boat found the bottom.
Owner of 28' TE
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Capt Ron wrote:While visiting some friends at Wagners Marina in Atlantic Highlands, NJ I found the sunken Albin blocked up in that yard. The name is "Eveready" (not really appropriate) out of Point Judith. Rumor has it that wasn't the first time the boat found the bottom.
JackK wrote:http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1446200.html

Interesting reading.

Jack
Wow, twice to the bottom. Very sad.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

That is very interesting reading. If my son wasn't a lawyer I would comment on who made the money on this deal. It was a sad situation and it makes me wonder about the exhaust hoses chaffing on my boat. I will have my mechanic take a look when he comes back this week to install the accumulator tank.

I will pass on a tip, however, about detecting an exhaust leak before it gets bad. If you tie or wedge a Styrofoam coffee cup some where in the engine room it will began to turn gray if there is an exhaust leak. Mine is stuck inside the Racor pipes at the rear of the engine room.

This works. I have made several crossings from Mexico to the U.S. on large sportfisherman...some at speed and some slow. When the boat stationwagons diesel exhaust fumes into the cabin the Styrofoam cups in the galley cabinets will turn gray. When an exhaust leak gets really bad the cup will turn black.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Thanks for the tip...

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

The mechanic checked my exhaust hoses today and said that they are hanging in the center of the hole in the firewall.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
twells8738
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Portsmouth, NH

Post by twells8738 »

Interesting info on the 35' Hard Top Flybridge. I have a 99' with twin 350 Cat's ..I had no idea so few were made.
witchcityeng
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: danvers

Post by witchcityeng »

whwells wrote:Ron: Jack Pady responded to my inquiry. The factory back in 2006 said a small number were ever made. He thought 4-6. There are at least 3 or 4 in the Albin group. Doug, yours and mine and one other at least.
Bellingham Marine tells me they ordered two with the flybridge. As I said previously they don't seem to be around the NW at this point.
I have seen a couple others listed on the east coast in the past. My estimate then would be 6-8, but still just a guess. It is fair to say they are rare. Would be interestred to know how many 35te Hardtops were made as well. I have seen and looked at several in my research, but most are on the east coast from Flor. to Maine. Jack Pady in Georgina Bay, Canada has a nice one with twin Cummins that I did see before my current purchase. Owner then was unwilling to reduce asking price, but has done so as they are now more motivated. It is a really nice boat. Jack won't handle anything else.
Howard

ref the 35te that pady has in ont, seams like a very clean boat at $98k. any comments on a 31 vs the 35 TE besides the 4 ft? I'm Out of boston and looking for a canyon boat for overnight fishing trips maybe a loop trip someday. Seams jacks 35te is set up for two person cruising more than fishing
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I think they built more than a hand full of 35 TE flying bridge boats. I looked at a late 90's model in Harve de Grace MD back in 2009 (twin cabin, galley up, 2 Beasts). There was one in Deale MD (galley down, and I think 2 Cummins) for sale about the same time and one moored at the Chesapeake yacht club up to about 2 years ago, it was from NC IIRC. Add mine and that's 4 in the middle Chesapeake alone.

Return to “General Discussion”