• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 TE Anchor

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

31 TE Anchor

Post by Pitou »

I’m looking for any experiences with the use of Delta Fast Sets on the 31 TE.

The new 31 TE rode came equipped with a Lewmar Delta Fast Set anchor which is the same type that I had on my 28 TE. The Fast Set treated me well in sand, mud, rock, etc.. This anchor is 35 lbs. and seems to be overkill except that the rode only has 8 ft. of chain / the previous owner called this his day/beach anchor. I’ll be splicing a new length of chain to the bitter end, probably 35 feet or I may jump it up to 100 ft. which is well within the weight limitations of the windlass.

I’m thinking that the 35 lb. sizing is way over the top and considering downsizing to the 22 lb. anchor.

Lewmar rates the Delta anchors as follows:
22 lb. at 25 ft. to 41 ft. of boat length
35 lb. at 35 to 52 ft. of boat length

Any thoughts or experiences from the 31 TE owners?
Last edited by Pitou on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: 31 TE Anchor

Post by Jay Knoll »

Not a 31 TE owner, but I still have an opinion! :)

A lot depends on the type of cruising you're planning on doing and where you'll be going. When we had our Crealock 37 we carried two CQR plows, a 35 and a 45. The 45 was the primary anchor, it had 250' of 3/8" high tensile chain, the 35 had 50' of chain and 200' of rode. There were times in the Bahamas where we had "everything" in the water and were VERY glad we had it. We rode out some pretty heavy blows while others were dragging.

If you can handle the anchor it seems silly to discard it to save 13 pounds of weight. And I certainly agree with you about adding more chain.

Jay
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Another opinion also from another Jay :D ...
I HAD a 35 Delta on my Albin when I bought it. All chain also. It was not big enough in all cases. I dragged a couple of times in good holding ground (Long Island mud).
I went to a 44 Delta and that IS big enough. (sold the 35 to Dougsea)
I recommend you keep the 35.
I think Delta over estimates their holding power.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have 40ft of 1/4" chain on a 22lb Delta and do a good amount of anchoring in various conditions and have not dragged and she sets very quick. I do give a her a good reverse gear tug before shutting down. But, why would you want to go down? Not sure how deep that anchor locker is but a 100ft of chain may end up giving you a chain cone that climbs high enough to reach the underside of the deck..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I hear you all and I do know that it's only 13 lbs. ... sounds like the admiral when the tote of galley gear comes aboard and only half of it gets touched. The anchor is different as that is always used and more weight can't hurt, but if it's not really needed :? Who knows .. I've always had a knack for tweaking and dickering. This change out probably won't happen, but I'm looking for real world experience.

Plenty of room in the locker Rob. Much deeper and wider than my 28 which I had successfully coned up 100 ft. of 1/4" 3B ontop of the rope section of rode without issue. A 100 ft. of 5/16 will add about 120 lbs. ... now if I could lose that 13! :lol:

I put this thread up in hopes that I could get a portion of the response that a previous thread on the 28 TE developed. One 31 chimed in (Ed Zinbaad) that he bought and utilized the 22 lb. Delta without issue holding him tight. Not sure how he used it. I guess it's time to PM: Zinbaad, Joint Venture & Irish Wake as they have all been pictured with Deltas on their pulpit.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

My anchor is a 22lb Delta with about 10' feet of chain. I have anchored only about 10 times and that was for a few hours. It has only been in sandy bottoms, and I have nver had any problems with holding. All the times it was flat calm to a one foot chop. If I get some heavy weather when I am anchored I will give you an update.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

irishwake wrote:My anchor is a 22lb Delta with about 10' feet of chain. I have anchored only about 10 times and that was for a few hours. It has only been in sandy bottoms, and I have nver had any problems with holding. All the times it was flat calm to a one foot chop. If I get some heavy weather when I am anchored I will give you an update.
Thanks for the response.

A little research and reaching out has Joint Venture and Zinbaad also hanging a 22lb Delta on their bows and working well.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

It does depend on what the conditions you plan on, or are forced to, on anchor in entail. Unless it's causing you an issue it's never a bad idea to have a heavier anchor!

Late last season I was out in Eaton's Neck inlet and anchored in strong winds and about 15 feet of water. With over 100 feet of chain out I started dragging pretty badly. That had never happened to me before. (Normal rode calculations can generally be shortened when all chain is used) I ended up putting out another 50 feet of chain. So while I've been very happy with my 35 (Thanks Jay!), I wouldn't have been upset if it had been larger that day.

I understand your desire to keep extra weight off the boat I'd leave less valuable "stuff" (a couple of gallons of water or fuel perhaps) off of the boat before I lightened up my ground tackle.

As a side note, with all of that chain I do at times have problems with the chain piling up (it's called "castling") directly under the windlass. I end up sending someone forward to knock the pile over. I've tried a variety of methods to stop it, none particularly successful to date.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I certainly agree Doug. The more holding power the better and I will be sticking with the 35 lb. Delta. Why not I've got it. That big flybridge of yours certainly needs at least the 35. Must have really been blowing stink to move you with about a 115 lbs. of chain laying on the floor as well!

The 300 gallon tank capacity will rarely be full .. probably 2/3rds. I ditched the old analog TV in the bow and replaced it with a flat screen. Net result; minus 23 lbs. and went from a 13 inch screen to a 22. The 60 inch plasma would be nice :roll: .

I like to tweak and tweak some more on the boat .. it's a disease. :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I have been using the Delta 22 and last two years a bootleg delta with 15 feet of chain. It has held strong in most cases but when in a strong wind and a surging tide I have pulled loose. Since the rode has become a bit chaffed I might replace with a 35 and 50 feet chain. When sleeping aboard the extra holding power would bring a bit more comfort for sure.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Thanks for the added response Ed. And yes, we spend a lot of nights on the hook. I'm sticking with the 35. Get some more chain on that rode. You'll find that will help greatly keeping that anchor set. If you decide to add to your existing rode it will be easier to splice it to the softer bitter end that has not seen the light of day.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Hello stranger Ed !

Yes those delta plows need chain. Pre-Windlass I was trying to keep my setup on the light side, I had maybe 10ft of 5/16" chain, and make up for it with extra scope. I went diving alone once (I know, shame on me) and the tide was running pretty decent, went down the anchor and when I hit the silty bottom I watched the anchor drag in short burts - drag...stop...drag..stop - I watched it hoping she'd dig deeper and hold, not the case. Granted the bottom was very soft but still not good at all. That was the end of that dive and the end of that chain (no pun intended). 40ft of chain now and she graps instantly and I have dove down her to find that she holds put.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”