• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Broken starboard window

trolllynn2
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Noank , CT

Broken starboard window

Post by trolllynn2 »

Hello, I was taking my 05 28' flush deck from Noank CT. to the CT River for the winter in a stiff wind. I have been in this kind of weather before with this boat before with no problems. I was crusing @ 15k into the wind and encounterd a large wave. The boat rode over the top and there was nothing but 6' to 7' drop, the hull hit hard, my starbard window shattered. After the next few waves the other window fell out. My wife & I were terrified. What if this happened off shore. So far I have found out that the hard top mount had failed on the starboard side. For some reason the 2 pillers that hold the hard top on the stern part cracked 5 to 10 " on the inside pillers.
Please note that my wife & love our Albin 28 but I am very upset about this event. What if we were offshore?
I had to file an insurance clame for this ( the 1st in my life, @ 52 ) A boat like this should be able to handle this kind of surf like any other boat!!!!!! :?:
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Broken starboard window

Post by kathylsails »

That is scary! Glad that you and your wife are OK. We've been out in similar weather conditions and plan to check our pillars to make sure there has been no damage.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Very surprised to hear this. With 2000+ members no one has reported a failure to the hardtop mounts. Please keep us updated to the progress of the repair and analysis of the issue. Pictures would be great if possible. Are you the original owner? If not, is there any documentation of a previous problem? Do you carry any weight on the top?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks to Sandy you may not be the only who who may need to source those windows..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
trolllynn2
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Noank , CT

Post by trolllynn2 »

Hi guys, all is fixed but make sure that hard top is bolted down properly on your 28 TE.
Get underneath the rear of hard top and push up hard. See if it lifts up. If it does get it fixed. It could save your sliders and cracked columns...........Rob A. Troll*Lynn2
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Understand terrified under these circumstances. Great that you both got through it all without injuries. We all appreciate the post because it is concern for us all to consider and watch.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”