• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transforming Knot Reely into PITOU

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Transforming Knot Reely into PITOU

Post by Pitou »

So much for waiting a year ....

Let the games begin. It was starting to look a lot like Christmas around the house lately with all the boat "stuff" arriving in that big brown truck!

Headed to Dartmouth, MA last Saturday with a load of gear to have the new antenna mast project begun. I've removed the stainless radar arch as any ouside antennas will interfere with the outriggers that will be installed and the arch is just too darned high to post up a fishing rod unless you're 6' 10". I'm a bit more than a foot too short! The previous owner had another rod a rack built and mounted to the rear roof line. Still a little high, but mostly workable.

Here are some pictures of the mast now in process. Keep in mind the welds are just spots and not finished or ground to finish.

The radome will be set on the lowest pad then the Tri-Lens radar reflector and the remote spotlight on top with a masthead/all around light to be placed behind. The spreaders will have 4 antenna mounts for now / starboard side: VHF & TV, port side: GPS & wireless internet repeater. The mast is aluminum / large on the bottom and tapered to the top. The spreader arms are oblong / oval shaped. As before, I'll end up painting it with a 3 step Petit process as I have the material and I'm not a big fan of powdercoat as if and when it chips there is no easy repair. 9 years with the last mast and not one nick or chip.

I'm really looking forward to getting this all together with the canister liferaft being set behind the mast and the outriggers balancing it all off. The 31 will certainly be the big brother to my 28 with many similarities.

Boat projects are fun! 8)
Line drawing.concept.jpg
Mast 1.jpg
Mast 2.jpg
Mast 3.jpg
Mast 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Transforming Knot Reely into PITOU

Post by Carl »

Is that a second one sitting on the floor in the last pic? Going to look nice when you are done.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Kevin: You are looking good. Nice project.
whwells "Howard"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Looks good. Are you going to hinge it for bridges?
What kind of welder do you use MIG or TIG?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Carl wrote:Is that a second one sitting on the floor in the last pic? Going to look nice when you are done.
The second one is a sample ready to be sold .. $ 600 takes it. With the mounting configuration of my 24 inch Northstar radome the mounting plate wouldn't work and adding all of the other gear it just would not work for my purposes. It will fit a Furuno or Raymarine large of smaller dome. it was the loss leader that drew me in. Kind of like the candy at the checkout in the grocery store! Might you be interested?
Halcyon wrote:Looks good. Are you going to hinge it for bridges?
What kind of welder do you use MIG or TIG?
No hinges .. channel 13 for an opening if needed. Off season is a haul and block right in the same yard with no over road travel. If need be it can come right down with 6 base bolts removed and wiring unplugged.
It will be bolted down on top of a thin piece of closed cell foam to protect the rooftop and cap nuts on the inside for a finished look. I’ll do the same attachment process with the life raft canister. If I head east out of my river I have 2 bridges. One railroad bridge which at times requires the outriggers to be dropped and the 2nd a much lower state road with a lift bridge. That opens on the 1/4 hour in season. And pretty much on demand if no one goes through on the 1/4 hour.
The builder is using a MIG welder and grinding smooth .. no pit holes and very strong. A TIG would be much better if he owned one in the respect of cleaner welds not requiring the grinding step. MIG and TIG both provide good strong welds if done correctly. The mast I referenced above to Carl's question, I got right up on top of the pole with all my weight and pressure that I could exert. Determination was ... solid.
Mast 5.jpg
Mast 6.jpg
CIMG0141 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”