• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What is this

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

What is this

Post by kjg1951 »

On my keel on the starboard side is this plug .what is it used for ?
Thanks
Kevin g
New bern n.c.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: What is this

Post by Nancy »

That's your garboard drain plug. It drains the water in the keel. Very handy when you're on the hard and giving the bilge a good cleaning.

Up here at the north pole, we remove the plug in the winter so that water doesn't freeze in the keel. We put it in a plastic bag and attach it to the steering wheel with a twistie.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

How is it removed ..... Is there any chance of it breaking ?
Thanks
Kevin g
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

John uses a 1/2" drive without the socket. I know he exchanged some choice words with it the first time - it had been a long time since it had been removed.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

looks like it may have never been removed any suggestions on removal OR should I just leave it alone and not mess with it? I did spray some liquid wrench on it this morning....... thank s
Kevin G
New bern N.C.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Kevin

When it does come time to put a socket wrench on that puppy, TIGHTEN it first before you try to loosen it. A mechanic taught me this years ago. If there is corrosion trying to loosen it first will pack that corrosion into the threads jamming it tighter. Tightening first breaks the corossion bond and (hopefully) makes it easier to loosen the bolt. I would let the liquid wrench do its thing for several days if time permits, perhaps with a few more applications before you start the swear fest.

Jay

Good luck
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

DSC01987.JPG
When I purchased my Albin, the bilge plug came with a handy allen wrench. I use Teflon tape on the threads to prevent rust build up and the plug comes out very easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

I remove mine every fall when I haul the boat to drain anything in the bilge. In the spring I use Teflon tape and put it back on. I think that it's a good idea to pull the plug every year, you don't want it freezing up. My boat came with the same tool (Allen wrench) shown. I also do the same thing Nancy does, put the plug in a ziplock bag and use a Velcro strap to secure it to the wheel. I also have a backup plug.....just in case.

John

M/V Nirvana
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

A ditto of John and Nancy's comments.
Don.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Kevin, yours is removed with a 1/2" drive handle as stated. I would not be afraid to put a breaker bar extansion on the handle....that plug shouldn't break. Make sure the drive is in as far as possible ( clean out the square hole as much as possible). Also, if you or a helper can hit the drive handle head squarely into the fitting while trying to loosen, it will act like an impact tool and help loosen it.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “General Discussion”