• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Decision time on a 2004 or 2007 28 TE

tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Decision time on a 2004 or 2007 28 TE

Post by tshug »

Hello,

I joined this site a couple of years ago when we were looking at Albin 28's. Never did sell our 23' Seaswirl at the time, but finally did this year. We've looked at a few different 26'-31' boats some Albins and others since then.

After looking we've decided we want an Albin 28 and have narrowed it down to either a 2007 or a 2004 we've looked at. Both are in very good condition, but I have a question concerning their rudder. The 2004's is much larger and positioned more aft and beyond stern than the 2007. The 2004's is also more square in design. Does anyone know the reason for this change in design. My main concern is how they handle in tight quarters and backing down into our slip. Also if anyone can answer to the pro's and cons to either model that would be great. We hope to be Albin owners soon.

Thanks,

Ted
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Decision time on a 2004 or 2007 28 TE

Post by Russell »

If the 2004 is an engine box model, that is its normal rudder. I believe the rudder was cut down because of some handling issues. I previously owned an engine box model and recently purchased a flush deck with the smaller rudder. I notice that it does not maneuver as well around the dock but it is manageable. The engine box model was much easier to spin to port almost in place. More important is the engine for your decision.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks for the info Russ. Both Albin's we're looking at have Yanmar 6LPA-STP's. One has 249 hours and the other 555 hours. They both appear to be in good shape, but I plan to have a survey done on whichever one we choose.

Both the 2004 and 2007 we're looking at are flush decks. We're leaning towards the 2004 because of the helm seating on it rather than the L-shaped settee on the 2007. My concern is which rudder design works best and hope others respond with their experiences with both as well.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

When the 28TE was morphed into a flush deck the handling of the boat changed, she bow steered. Albin tried adding ballast to the stern, which ended up being the reasoning for an extra ~30 gallons of fuel tank capacity (go figure) and the reducing of the rudder size. You can certainly trim the rudder on the '04 down the road easier than ever enlarging the rudder on the 07'...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

tshug wrote:Thanks for the info Russ. Both Albin's we're looking at have Yanmar 6LPA-STP's. One has 249 hours and the other 555 hours. They both appear to be in good shape, but I plan to have a survey done on whichever one we choose.

Both the 2004 and 2007 we're looking at are flush decks. We're leaning towards the 2004 because of the helm seating on it rather than the L-shaped settee on the 2007. My concern is which rudder design works best and hope others respond with their experiences with both as well.
Welcome aboard!

Following up on Rob's post:

Here's a thread for you to follow on the rudder change regarding the flush deck model. It appears that the 2004 that you are looking at was out of the production door before the rudder size got changed. As far as boating projects go, it's an easy fix.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=184&hilit=+steering
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks for the added input Rob and Pitou. After seeing your info I'm not so sure about the 2004 we looked at. It also has the 132 gallon fuel tank. I'm concerned about the vibration and starboard turning problems that others ran into with the larger rudder. Is the Standish boatyard in RI still around and doing work on the Albin's?
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Here's a picture of the rudder on the 2004 we looked at...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

FWIW I have an 07 and am very happy with the performance and handling. (other than slow speed as my former neighbor Russ has confirmed) But some times you just swallow your pride and lay on the bow thruster. As for the L settee I am in the process of adding the a second removable seat socket so that I can rig a mates helm seat or use the settee as currently configured. Albin did offer this configuration as an option on later models. I talked with Ken Hilton at Standish when planning this upgrade so they are still there and no one knows the boats better than Ken.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks, I'll try and get in touch with Ken at Standish tomorrow.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

tshug wrote:Thanks for the added input Rob and Pitou. After seeing your info I'm not so sure about the 2004 we looked at. It also has the 132 gallon fuel tank. I'm concerned about the vibration and starboard turning problems that others ran into with the larger rudder. Is the Standish boatyard in RI still around and doing work on the Albin's?
If you prefer the 2004 set-up then I would work towards having the rudder modified / again, no big deal. As far as the larger tank. I believe that the larger tank is merely that Albin went to a full 160 for ease of production methods instead of offering it as an option.

When you talk to Ken and if you have not actually seen these boats, consider having him as your broker representative. It will go miles in forging your relationship. If you already have someone he'll still help you out as he is very laid back. I'll always throw a plug for Ken as he has been invaluable to my Albin ownerships.

Standish Boat Yard: 401-624-4075
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks again... I did talk with Ken today at Standish and I can see why you always throw him a plug. He was very helpful in explaining the rudder modification and reasons behind it. He said it only takes a couple of hours to complete and would run around $150 to complete it. I asked him about surveyors in that area and his brother who used to work at Standish and also knows the Albin's very well is a surveyor in the area. I'll probably contact him if we come to an agreement on an offer.

I do like the 2004 setup better than the 2007 where it has two seats rather than the settee. Ken did say they do a modification there as well adding the 2nd seat, but that would be a lot pricier to do. We'll see what happens...
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

DSC01817.JPG
Tshug, the rudder you posted appears to extend past the hull. I have a 98TE, engine box and my rudder is somewhat different. I have no issues with turning in tight places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Our offer was accepted on the 2004 28TE! Now it's onto the survey and sea trial next. Does anyone have suggestions on surveyors in the RI area? The owner has provided all his maintenance records since he's on it since 2008. Nothing major gas been done just oil changes , oil & fuel filter replacements, battery replacement. The engine only has 240 hours, very little use. It also was not in the water at all in 2013, since this is the owners 2nd boat and smaller than his other one. I will be having both boat and engine surveys done, but should I be concerned that it hasn't been run for over a year and has very little hours since 2004?

I'm probably overthinking it, but would like to hear from others since This will be my first diesel. Hoping to be a Albin owner soon!!
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Congra's. Personally I would not worrry about the boat being out of the water for a year. That said ala there was not some mechanical reasons not made know to you. Yes, a mech. and hull survery is an excellent plan. Made the mistake in a previous non Albin boat on not doing the separate mechanical. That is really important.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher LS/flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks Howard. I'll post how the surveys go later this month.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”