• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel gauge problems

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Fuel gauge problems

Post by Russell »

One of the things I knew I had to repair on the boat I just purchased was the fuel gauge. When disconnected it reads empty and if the signal wire is touched to the ground wire it reads over full. I have read that this means the gauge is OK. I purchased and installed the WEMA sending unit (240-33 ohms) and the gauge seemed to work at first, became erratic and then pegged at over full again. I checked the resistance of the sending unit and it reads 135 ohms which is what I expect with less than half a tank. I get 12.5 volts from the sending wires on the gauge and back at the tank. I removed and replaced all the wires on the back of the gauge and it still pegs above full. Is it time to buy a new gauge or is there something else to check?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Fuel gauge problems

Post by RobS »

What do you mean by "removed and replaced all the wires on the back of the gauge" ? Could be the signal wire between the sender and the gauge is shorting to ground somewhere, or did you replace that wire (complete homerun from the gauge to the sender) ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Rob, I just loosened the nuts and made sure the connections were not corroded. When everything is connected and the ignition is on the VOM shows 12.5 volts between the signal post on the gauge and the ground so I doubt the signal is grounded. Also when the wires are disconnected from the sender the gauge reads empty. I ordered a new gauge. At $22 it is cheaper than hiring someone to look at it.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

FYI replacing the fuel gauge solved the problem. A funny thing is that the instructions that came with the gauge described how to test a fuel gauge by disconnecting the signal wire and it should read empty and shorting it to the ground and it should read full. The old gauge did exactly that but it was still no good.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”