• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6LP Timing belt change

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ralphwink

6LP Timing belt change

Post by ralphwink »

This fall I had the timing belt on our 2000 28TE changed even though I only have 640 hours on the engine. Feeling was based on consults with several diesel mechanics who are familiar with Yanmar that age might be more of an issue.
My diesel mechanic changed the belt along with recommended spring tensioner in about two hours, WITHOUT the need to remove the hump cover. Inspection of the removed belt is that it looks in very good shape. Bottomline is that I now have peace of mind knowing I did the change.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6LP Timing belt change

Post by Cape Codder »

Ralph,
I'm facing the exact situation. 2003 TE with a 315 Yanmar, about 800 hours. Several people have told me 1250 hours is more reasonable. A Yanmar Dealer at the N. E. Boat Show said they changed one @ 1900 hours and it was fine.
And yours looked good after 13 years............not sure I need to do it this year. But I do like the peace of mind if I had it done.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Had my 2001, 6LP-STE done last June (850 hours) and the "old" belt looked brand new.
Don.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The belt replacement is every 1200 hours or every 6 years from what I remember - its not so much the belt failing but the tensioners that can fail.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Ah, good to know about the tensioners.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Rybo78
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, MA

Post by Rybo78 »

Bob, I'm not sure who you use for service but I just had Nauset marine change mine out maybe 3 weeks ago. 2050 hours, second belt. First was changed just over 1200 hrs. Had plenty of life remaining but the engine was already out so it just seemed to make sees to take advantage of the ease of access and do it now. At any rate the guys at Nauset were fantastic, only took them 45 min (w engine sitting on floor) and they didn't mind me watching and asking questions.. Which in my opinion was the most valuable part.

See you around the harbor. Mine is the green hull... Has Frigate on the transom, although that's likely to change.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”