• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member from Campbell River, BC

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
bletain
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Campbell River BC

New member from Campbell River, BC

Post by bletain »

Hi...My name is Brad...

I saw an Albin 31 at the dock here the other day and it looked like a really nice boat! I have been looking at lots of boats but that one looked like something special, to me, anyway. Am I on the right track?

We have a Harbercraft 19 aluminum soft top right now but I find it to be too light in weight out in Georgia Strait some days. Our dog, Radar (our 100 lb labradoodle), gives me 'the look' when the boat starts pounding, so it's time to start looking for something more comfortable. My wife, Cheryl, would probably be happier with a vessel that has cooking facilities, a head, and a place to sleep, too. Sometimes, another couple joins us on our local fishing trips as well. It would be nice to do some cruising around Vancouver Island, maybe even up to Alaska some day, and we also like to fish for salmon in our area as well as the occasional trip to the west coast 10 to 15 miles offshore. We have been out there in a Harbercraft 26 aluminum as well as in an Aquasport 24, both okay for fishing but not so much for cruising any distance.

I have been looking at Albin boats on the internet, specifically the Albin 24, 28 TE, and the 31. The Albin 24, located in Vancouver, looks to be in great condition although it is a 1999 model. I have only found two Albin 28's out this way, one is in Washington, the other in Oregon. All of the Albin 31's seem to be on the east coast, except the one I saw at the harbour here that doesn't appear to be for sale. Also, the prices on the west coast seem to be higher for the 28's and probably for the 31's if there was any. Maybe it would be worth having one shipped if it meant we would get the right boat for us. I really need to get it right if we decide to buy an Albin as my wife says that her hobby (knitting) costs much less than mine. (boats) Maybe she would enjoy her knitting more if we were cruising at the same time?

I am retired and we need to use our money wisely so any advice that anyone can give me would be appreciated.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New member from Campbell River, BC

Post by N4QC »

Brad:

You can do a search on this site for more information on the Albin 24 Getaway. Generally the information is found in the A27/A27 forum. Check out the hull number for the vessel in Vancouver. I am under the impression that the last Getaways were built in 1996. The 1999 date may be that of the engine and /or when the vessel was first commissioned…

Noticed that the listing includes the trailer…

Suspect that “Radar” would enjoy the third berth…

Happy researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Brad,

When I was looking for my Albin 28 to import to the UK I took my time and checked out boats that had been listed for sale for a while.

The boat I bought was listed originally for $65,000 - I paid nothing like that as the vendor was keen to sell and I was in the right place at the right time.

There are two boats, albeit on the US east coast for sale at the moment I would have prefered due to the lower engine hours but at the time the vendors were not budging on the price. Roll on a year later and those boats are still up for sale and I am sure if the same offer I made on them was made today the vendors would accept.

Just food for thought, but for me once I had factored in the weak pound against the dollar, shipping and taxes I had the Albin on the water over here decked out with new electronics for a little over £43,000. To me a stonkingly good deal.

Don't let the shipping put you off - mine was only $6000 to cross the Atlantic!

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Welcome aboard, Brad! We sure live in a beautiful place for cruising. My wife has pretty much the same view on my boat-habit. Her scrapbooking doesn't cost nearly as much!

That "Albin 24" listed in Vancouver in the description specs a 27' LOA. And a beam of 8'6"? I don't know this model at all, but those pictures sure look big to me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/Al ... wzLR_ldUrU
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Background:

The Albin Getaway came in two basic versions. The first is the Albin 24 which becomes a LOA of 27 feet when a swim platform and pulpit are added into the mix. I’ve seen this configuration of LOA 27’, marketed as an Albin 27 Getaway.

There is an Albin 27 Getaway, in its own right. LOA would probably bring it up to some 30 feet if the swim platform and pulpit were included.

The pulpit is bolted and the swim platform is an option and thus are not included in the hull number identification code which generally includes the length.

Suspect that the 24 Vancouver vessel is an early model as there is but one forward facing helm seat. The Getaways were produced from '92 through '96.

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
bletain
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Campbell River BC

Post by bletain »

Thanks for the helpful replies from everyone so far.

I do plan to take my time considering the various models.

At least we have a boat to use for prawning and fishing in the meantime.

Return to “New Member Introductions”