• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering Pump Thread Sizes

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Steering Pump Thread Sizes

Post by Tree »

Morning All,

Can anyone tell me what the thread size is for the hose fittings going into the steering pump on the back of the wheel on a 28TE?

I'm hoping to install my autopilot this weekend and need to get three hoses made up. I know what the thread sizes are on the autopilot pump but without removing the hoses from the rear of the steering pump I can only guess the fitting size.

I am assuming that they will be 1/4" NPT but I may be wrong and they may be BSP threads?

If anyone can clarify what they are, that would be great as it will save me removing them twice and getting hydraulic oil potentially leaking into the back of the cabinet for the moment.

cheers

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Steering Pump Thread Sizes

Post by jleonard »

Not familiar specifically with that pump, but every pump I have dealt with has NPT threads.
I plumbed tiny shut off valves in mine when I installed my autopilot. I only lost less than a shotglass of oil.
Now if I have to change anything on the pilot pump, I can isolate it.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

I've done a bit of digging about and it appears to be a Sea Star Tilt Classic (or something to that effect) and the ports are 1/4" NPT.

Thankfully they are sold over here so I currently have the dealer looking into whether they have check valves fitted - don't really want the wheel turning and the rudder not moving!

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/product ... helms-new/

It does say on the exploded that there is a lock valve, but I can't confirm if a check valve is the same thing.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

To me that appears to be a check valve. "Lock valve" sounds more "proprietary".

I was referring to a 1/4 turn mini shut off valve. I put one on each of the three ports that lead to the autopilot pump.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

That makes good sense. I've just had the hoses made up as I plan to mount the pump 18" under the steering pump as opposed to fitting it on the stringer under the deck. My reason for this is if ever I do have a hose or fitting failure, I can at least rig it up back to manual steering if need be.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Tree wrote:That makes good sense. I've just had the hoses made up as I plan to mount the pump 18" under the steering pump as opposed to fitting it on the stringer under the deck. My reason for this is if ever I do have a hose or fitting failure, I can at least rig it up back to manual steering if need be.
If you put shut off valves at the T, it won't matter where you mount the pump, you can always shut off the autopilot pump.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”