• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Motors out, now what?

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Motors out, now what?

Post by rcornejo »

Hello Everone,

I need some advice. I took my engine out and send it to have it rebuilt only to find out it had two cracks on the block and pistons. :( Therefore, it sounds like I need to get a new engine.

Here is a look at my bilege which I have been working on while the motor is out. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of engine I can install that will fit in the 28 TE and increase my speed a little? The boat had a Peninsular 300.

Thanks for your input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Motors out, now what?

Post by RobS »

I'd just go back with another Peninsular. Did you just install that PSS?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Roland,

I'd go with Rob on this. There are SO many additional costs involved in changing to a different engine. Unless your budget allows for moving mounts, exhaust, new transmission, etc. I'd go for a replacement from Penninsular. Give them a call, they have a reputation as being very helpful.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob and Doug,

I will probably go back with a Peninsular given the configeration of my boat. Adding a new type of engine would cause a lot of extra cost to retrofit it. I have been very happy with my Peninsular but since it is 17 years old, it's time to replace it. I may buy a long block and use many of my current bolt on items since many are fairly new. I will talk to Matt tomorrow to see what all my options are.

Rob, I replaced the PSS last season since it was starting to leak. I am glad I did that. Now that the engine is out, I have been replace all my hoses and electrial lines since I have much more room to work with. It has become a big project but well worth it. By the time I'm done, it should be like new. I will poste some pictures as I move along. Thanks for your advice. If you can think of anything I should do at this point, please, please let me know. Many of our members have done this in the past so any advice you have will be appreciated.

Good Evening,
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I prefer the lip seal design of the Tides over the face seal of the PSS, just a simpler setup in my opinion. Regarding your PSS never reuse the s/s set screws on the rotor and I would also add a collar at the s/s rotor to prevent the rotor from ever sliding up the shaft away from the bellows. If you go on PSS website you can source the set screws and a rotor.

I would be sure to prop the new engine VERY light as if I remember correct you run charters with some full loads of big dudes catching a lot of fish. That's a ton of weight and not really what these boats were designed to do. And based on your comment about "getting more speed" and that you're in the money busy when you're out at sea I'm gonna say it's a sure thing you have a heavy hand on the throttle. Not that backing off the throttle solves the issue of overloading. What ever the new Penn diesel is rated to turn at WOT needs to be well exceeded under your most loaded conditions. Read about engine life/loading over on BD. Now's that time as the ball is 100% in your court to set her up right. Wouldn't hurt to talk to Matt about EGT and boost installs either. Maybe fit some oil pan and gear box sump drains too on the new drivetrain before it gets dropped in.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the great advice. I will talk to Matt today about your recommendations. I will let you know what he suggest.
I will also look at the PSS website. I did not put that in so I am not sure if they used the same s/s screw on the rotor but I will check on it. I know I ordered a new set with everything. Does it look like they used the same one to you?

Thanks again for your help.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

In order to get your motor/tranny out (and eventually the new one back in) the set screws (aka grubscrews) are loosened to allow the prop shaft to be slid back out of the tranny so the set screws certainly have to be replaced now. Whether they were replaced or reused last time is a mute point.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Rob,

Now I understand what set screws you are talking about. Do you know where I can pick those up? Also, I called PSS and I am talking to Justin. He is sending me the colar you were referring to. Thanks for that advice. I never thought about that. I am also waiting to hear back from Matt about the EGT and Booster installs as well as the oil pan and gear box sump drains. Not sure exactly how that works but I will ask him to tell me more about them. Thanks for all your help. I would have overlooked these things for sure.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

rcornejo wrote:Hi Rob,

Now I understand what set screws you are talking about. Do you know where I can pick those up? Also, I called PSS and I am talking to Justin. He is sending me the colar you were referring to.
They are part of the PSS maintenance kit but your contact Justin should be able to send them to you.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hello Everyone,

As you may know, I ended up having to replace my 300 Peninsular engine since mine had a cracked head and piston. Matt at Peninsular gave me a great deal on a new engine and transmission. I figured I would change both out now so that I would not have to deal with the transmission later. Hoepfully that is. LOL My new engine and transmisison should be shipped this week and installed next week. However, I wanted to update my progress.

I have taken the advice I received and have done those things. As for now, here is what I have done.

1. Installed all new drain lines on cockpit floor,
2. Installed all new grounding wires with heat shrink and new bus bar,
3. Intalled new washdown pump,
4. Intalled all new hoses with all new clamps,
5. Installed new macerator pump and y-valve,
6. Installed new sanitation hoses,
7. Installed new water heater with heat exchanger,
8. Installed new collar on PSS,
9. Installed new transom shower with new water lines,
10. Installed new through hole drain plugs,
11. Installed all new water heater hoses and clamps,
12.Cleaned and painted all the bilge area,
13. Installed new bilge pumps,
14. Installed new Kenwood stero with Ipod and Iphone compability,
15. Installed new main water line connecting to sea strainer,
16. Rebuild sea strainger with new gaskets, glass and starboard,
17. Replaced some bilge seacocks,
18. Installed new butaine stove
19. Currently re-varnishing all woodwork with spar marine varnish
20. Installed new boat numbers with reflective vinal numbers,
21. Installed new stearing mechanism by rudder,
22. Replaired bearing on rudder,
23. Can't remeber all the other stuff LOL

Here are some pictures of before and after. I will post pictures of the motor once it is installed. If you see anything that is incorrect or should be done, please tell me. I have done all this work myself but I'm not expert.

Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Great job There is no better time than now while the engine and trans is out.Goin Deeper will be a good as new when the power is reinstalled.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks Amber JJ,

It has been a learning experince. So far, it has taken me over 7 weekends to do this. Does not seem like a lot but it takes time, especially when you try to remove and add new hoses. A heat gun works great! :lol:

The great thing is that I learned how everything ties in together. Before, I did not understand or could see that. I would encourage everyone to tinker with it a little in the event you don't know how our boats operate. I feel a lot more comfortable now about that. You are right, this boat will amost be brand new. So far, I have about 112 hours of work on it. If I would have had someone at the marine work on all this at $87.00 per hour, I would have spent about 12K on labor. So far, I have spent 2K on materials and parts.

I'll post the final pictures when I get there.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Roland, I think that's an amazingly small amount of time for the amount of work you've done! That's quite a list and everything looks great.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks Nancy. It seems like a long time but boat repairs are not fast especially if you do them right. Also, I promise that if you start to work on something, there is always one, wire, one screw, or the position of the object that will beat you up. LOL It always takes much longer than what you think it will take. However, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that what you did, was done right or at least the best it could be done.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Yes, Roland, totally agree. Been there, done that, gearing up to do it again as it seems we might actually have spring soon. Really, to accomplish all that you have in seven weekends is impressive.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”