• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Capacity for ZF Gear with 5.9BT

randyb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Oil Capacity for ZF Gear with 5.9BT

Post by randyb »

Hello Fellow Albin Owners,
I'm on the hard and doing some maintenance and need info for Oil Capacity for ZF Gear with 5.9BT. The tag on the ZF is unreadable yet there's numbers stamped on the gear and I'll get them if that helps?

Does anyone know the oil capacity, oil type and weight for the change? Is there a filter? I checked all my documentation and there's nothing for the gear. Direction and counsel appreciated.

Kind regards,

-randyb
-randyb
Vessel Sea Vee
1995 28' TE 5.9BTA Cummins
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Oil Capacity for ZF Gear with 5.9BT

Post by amber jj »

You use SAE 30 NON DETERGENT oil.As far as capacity the tag calls for 6 liters.When I did ours I fully drained the trannys(I am not sure if this tern is politically correct)and put the 6 litres in each trans started them up and ran them tied to the dock for 5 or 7 min.They showed over filled on the stick.Now I'm double guessing myself,did I drain them completely or not?Well I redrained them again and had the same result.I now started draining and checking and ended up with only 4 litres per trans.I never did find a filter.I wondered if the oil cooler retained oil although I would not think 2 litres.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

You might want to find out which ZF gear you have. Mine takes Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and not 30W oil.
Give us some more information and maybe someone can help you out. (year, which 6BT, HP, etc)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yes, the 6BT is likely paired to a ZF85IV which takes just under 2gallons of ATF. You need to confirm what you have.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Here I will try this again now that I got to the boat today for a pict of the transmission tag.
Hopefully this will be of help to you. Bob&Val
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Says right on your tag, SAE 30 weight oil, with a capacity of 4 cubic decimeters, which we call 4 liters today.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”