• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35TE HEAD/TOILETS ELEC. CHANGEOVER

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

35TE HEAD/TOILETS ELEC. CHANGEOVER

Post by whwells »

Nibbles has a Jabsco manual head which I would like to replace with an Elec. Flush unit. While at the Seattle Boat Show last week there were several units of interests. The problem seems to be that the raised platform for the toilets (about 5-6") does not come out from the Starboard side enough to allow the toliet base to fit on the platform. The reason is the back to front (lenght of the toilet) on some models at least pushes the base out beyond the platform. I know that most 35te were ordered with the elec. flush unit.
What I would like to know from any of you what make, model did the factory install or ( if you have converted ) which unit worked best for you. I did not make the decision to change over until after leaving the boat in Anacortes, Wa for the Seattle Boat Show & returned to Calif. after the show and without going back up to take measurements. A local friend called to tell me he did not think the base unit we considered would work.
It is possible that the VacuFlush unit will work. In their 500 Series the measurements model 5146 shows the front of the base at 12 3/4" from the rear of the unit (if pushed against the wall) and the model 5006 at 13 3/8. Seems likely these numbers might work. The problem is the Vacuflush unit is quite expensive.
With that background, my questions are:
1. What model/make do you have as a factory installation;
2 Does you piping and elec. go out the side, the bottom, or to the rear? Space is really tight;
3. Where is the Vacuum Generator on your boat - 35te series;
4. The factory holding tank with "Y" Valve is at rear/transom of the boat on the Starboard side - any reason that tank cannot be used with the new system.
It does not appear the tank is pressurized or needs to be but the information given at the show is not clear.
The show prices are really excellent and will be good until Feb. 14th. So I am trying to decide what model/or make will work at the best price.
Local forward to any advise on the subject.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge Conv.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: 35TE HEAD/TOILETS ELEC. CHANGEOVER

Post by jleonard »

Different boat, but I replaced a Jabsco head with a Rariitan "Sea Era" freshwater flush head, and it fit the exact pattern and size of the Jabsco. It was an easy R&R.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

Hi Spirits has Vacuflush but I don't know whether or not it came that way from the factory. On the spec sheet when I bought it mentioned "new Vacuflush". I assumed that Chuck may have installed it when he bought the boat from the first owner. I'll check for any papers that show the model number and see where the hoses go from the base.

The vacuum generator sits along the starboard bulkhead forward of the engine.

The holding tank is as yours
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Here are some pictures. The fresh water enters on the left side from under the sink. The waste exits from the right side and goes under the shower seat. The model is Eco Vac but I could not find the actual model number in my papers. I had a compact Vacuflush on my 42' Nordic Tug and this one looks bigger. The compact was way too small for a grown man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Ron & JLeonard: Thank you both for the replys. Looks like a nice fit. Wish I were at the boat. I do not recall that Nibbles has a curve as depicted in your pictures. There may be a difference in the up/down galley or the year.

The units I am looking at are not quite the same as yours although it looks really good if it will fit. Doug Sea has the same year model as mine. Hopefully, he can also post a picture. It seems like my counter top is straight across. It is always hard to be sure when the boat is not available to view. Your UP Galley may not be the same as my DOWN Galley as you have a door from the front berth & the door in the center walkway.

Don't know if Doug Sea has the Up or Down galley - but I think Up for him as well.

Ron in looking at the various systems there is a 140 Series VacuFlush with a pedal and the raised bar at the rear. Assume that is intended to be the stop position for the seat when up.

We are getting there. All the member help and support is wonderful.

whwells "Howard"
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

All I can add to this thread is that from a quality and support standpoint you can't beat Raritan.
I'll see if I can find it but there was a comarison of heads done by one of the publications (a Google search might find it) which also rated the Raritan as one of the highest if not the highest in all catagories including flushing capability (didn't see anyone mention that as important).

Might add that Boatersland seems to have some of the best pricing (at least with a water heater I wanted) so saving a couple of $$$ might be a help as well.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Mine is set up like Seasalt's with the Vacuuflush My holding tank and pumps are further aft in the lazarette, starboard side.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Halcyon: Think you for the information. Seems to be there is room on the starboard side for the waster generator. Is your boat the Up or Down Galley?
I am two days away from the boat and can't seem to recall if my head area has the curve shape as depicted in Seasalt. Really think it is straight across but I am not sure. Planning to have someone go by and check for me. What is the year model of your boat?
NOw it is coming to me. The sink on the down galley is across forward side/ and the head is along the starboard side. Thus it is likely without the curve. Really looks like I need to have someone view and call me.
Howard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Howard,

Sorry to take so long, but here you go...

The layout difference you see in the head layout is not a galley up/down or bi-cabin/tri-cabin issue, but is I believe a design change made by Albin in the newer models. The sink is swung from the corner to the forward bulkhead, the door to the master is eliminated, and the head rotates square to the hull sides.

Here's ours:
2014-01-31 21.27.09.jpg
Also, to give you more detail from my PM, I've done a diagram of the vacufulsh system so you can see where the tank and vacuum unit are located under the cockpit.

Here's the layout:
Sonny IV - Head Layout.jpg

And here's a picture into the deck area. Photo taken looking forward into the starboard deck box:
2014-01-31 21.32.23.jpg
Hope that lends some clarity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug & Others: This helps greatly. The head area is the same on my model as depicted in the last posting. Looks like the conversion will work fine. Hopefully there is room on the boat for the waste generator on the starboard side ahead of the waste storage tank. There have been some modifications for placement of the inverter and golf batteries. The gen. set has a separate batttery toward the Starboard side. Hate to keep moving things around that are necessary and already nicely mounted.
Any reason the original tank installation won't work with the conversion. It is a large tank with "Y" valve. It is vented as required..
Doug thank you for the special efforts given the very cold weather back there and the fact your boat is on the hard.
Plan to order the Elec. conversion set while the boat show prices still are available. Won't get back up to the boat until March. After installation will post pictures of the results. Will very much improve summer cruising.
Howard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

No problem Howard, always happy to help out a fellow AOGer and 35TE owner!

I do have a question based on your post - you reference an "electric" conversion. A Vacuflush head isn't electric per se. Yes the vacuum generator is 12 volt, but the head itself is a special mechanical unit. All of the "flush" comes from the vacuum unit that sucks the contents out of the bowl and then pumps it into the holding tank. Are you just mixing up terminology?

I would assume that you can still use your existing holding tank. There's nothing particularly special about the Dometic unit.

I should add that Kat and I love the vacuflush. I don't want to jinx myself but it's one of the things that's worked flawlessly and it's very good at its job!! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug: Yes. I do understand how the system works. Talked to the dealer at the show. Basically it a high pressure push system with the waste generator rather than a macerator system. Used the term elec. when I was moving away from the manual system. A smooth working system will be nice for this summer cruise to the far northwest.
Well made the VacFlush purchase on 2-14 the last day to take advantage of the Seattle Boat Show special. Hope to get back up to the boat and by the store to pickup my new purchase sometime in March and get it installed.
Howard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”