• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Hard Enclosure: Factory Option?

Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

28 TE Hard Enclosure: Factory Option?

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

I own a 1999 28 TE w/ Engine Cover which had a hard enclosure between the helm and cockpit when I purchased it five years ago. I assumed that the hard enclosure of the helm was an after market add on, but recently I've seen photos of other 28 TE's that have the same enclosure leading to the conclusion that it might have been a factory option.

Does anyone know if the enclosure was an Albin option and if so, what the cost of adding it was?

Thanks.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Re: 28 TE Hard Enclosure: Factory Option?

Post by slimjim »

Mntry_Goodson wrote:I own a 1999 28 TE w/ Engine Cover which had a hard enclosure between the helm and cockpit when I purchased it five years ago. I assumed that the hard enclosure of the helm was an after market add on, but recently I've seen photos of other 28 TE's that have the same enclosure leading to the conclusion that it might have been a factory option.

Does anyone know if the enclosure was an Albin option and if so, what the cost of adding it was?

Thanks.
My 2002 has one . Its called an alaskan Bulkhead. I believe it was around$5k plus.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

What Jim said! Alaskan Bulkhead.

Pitou (the 28' version) has one I believe.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Ditto with Jim and Doug. I know on my '02 model 28TE the Alaskan Bulkhead build option was in the 5k range. I let the options price list go with the sale of the boat last spring.

The option is still offered on the newer flush decks.

Here is a cut an paste from one of my posts on a previous discussion:

Not sure if Aluminum 2000 of Bedford, NH (a division of Pompanette) can still produce the Alaskan Bulkhead for the engine box 28TE, but they may possibly still have the CAD drawings. Here is their link http://www.aluminum2000.com/about.html . I do know that they have parts available. Over the past 9 years I have put together a pretty extensive library of what is in my 28 ... labeled "My Albin". It sure comes in handy. I purchased my 28TE as a 2 year old trade on a 35 Command bridge from Standish Boat Yard in Tiverton, RI and asked the dealer to remove the A. Bulkhead as I thought it would be too cumbersome to maneuver around. He said live with it one season and if I wasn't happy he would send someone to MA no charge to remove it. Glad that I took his advice. I now would not have it any other way than with. Plenty of ways to get under deck with it installed .. center hatch and the hatch at the foot of the helm has provided ample access. May there have been a time that removing the drawers under the helm seat made things easier. Undoubtedly yes, but the bulkhead has never prohibited any project from going forward and being completed within a reasonable time. If entirely necessary, the hard back could be removed.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

MYSTERY SOLVED! Thanks all for the feedback; much appreciated.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”