• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Prop

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Prop

Post by Froggy »

The prop on my now vintage Albin 28 TE is some 12 years old and showing signs of de-metaling on the hub. Rather than risk throwing a blade, I invested in a new 4 blade through Accutech. Sea trial later in the week will be defining but, in the meantime, I love the laser etched boat name on the prop. Thanks Accutech. Well done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Prop

Post by Cape Codder »

Wow!! Nice!!

What diameter and pitch?
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi Bob,

It's 18 dia 17 pitch Michigan wheel with cupping. Previous prop was 18 square three blade. We dropped an inch in pitch to compensate for the 4 blade. I believe most are running 19 square but mine is a 1993 with a 315 Peninsular running through a 1.6 ratio transmission.

Carl
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

That's purdy!! :)

I don't know that I could bring myself to paint over that!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I thought about just mounting it over the fireplace but, nah, better on the boat....
tugshughes
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Niantic, CT

Post by tugshughes »

"Froggy", I'm considering a change in props, hoping to get more speed out of our 1994 28' TE to give us a bit more speed. I was impressed with your 4-bladed prop from Accutech. How was your performance this past summer?
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Thanks for the question on the four blade prop. Sizing the prop was a bit of back an forth with Accutech. We wound up at 18 x 17. Initially, Accutech wanted a smaller diameter but Michigan was concerned she might throw a blade if we went too small so we went 18/17. The good news is that the boat is turbine smooth with the four blade and it increased cruise speed up to 20 knots or so at 2800 rpm. The bad news is that she doesn't have the torque to turn it much over 3100 rpm (vs 3600 nominal WOT). I'm actually ok with it as I was concerned about cruising speed and smoothness more than top end when I started this project. My recommendation (if I were to re-prop again) would be to drop to 18 x16 as you'll get somewhat more top end but still have good cruising and smoothness.

Carl
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I went through the same process of a new prop. However, I have a 315 Yanmar tied into a 1.6 peninsula tranny. Check out the post under "overloading". My results were outstanding.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

Working with a new Acme prop, I have the advantage of experience. Not mine, but that of an experienced boat builder. 40 years building sportfishermen designed to run quickly out to the Gulf Stream. He used many of our Yanmars. He quickly determined that I am under propped. He also said that my engine, designed for continuous operation @ 3600 rpm, should be run at that rpm. WOT is just shy of 4000. 18 kts @ 3600, 20 @ WOT.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

My buddy has just gone from a 19 x 19" cupped 4 blade on his 28TE to a 20 x 18" cupped four blade. His results are he can now get 23-24 knots at 3850 rpm and a cruise between 17-18 knots at 3300 rpm.

Prior to this, my boat was almost a knot faster than his at 3300 rpm as he could only acheive 15 - 16 knots and he couldn't achieve WOT, always falling 50 rpm short. We just put it down to him having a heavier boat (aircon, genset and stainless instead of plastic on all fittings).

Now he's got a better turn of speed than me!

He has all the data sheets for how the prop was worked out - i'll have to get them from him and upload them here.

It just shows how no two 28's are the same.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Tree wrote:He has all the data sheets for how the prop was worked out - i'll have to get them from him and upload them here.
Please do.
Tree wrote:It just shows how no two 28's are the same.
Amen
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Not the best of images as he has just taken it with his iPhone as he doesn't have a scanner handy.

The data means nothing to me - hopefully its of use to someone else though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Froggy wrote:Thanks for the question on the four blade prop. Sizing the prop was a bit of back an forth with Accutech. We wound up at 18 x 17. Initially, Accutech wanted a smaller diameter but Michigan was concerned she might throw a blade if we went too small so we went 18/17. The good news is that the boat is turbine smooth with the four blade and it increased cruise speed up to 20 knots or so at 2800 rpm. The bad news is that she doesn't have the torque to turn it much over 3100 rpm (vs 3600 nominal WOT). I'm actually ok with it as I was concerned about cruising speed and smoothness more than top end when I started this project. My recommendation (if I were to re-prop again) would be to drop to 18 x16 as you'll get somewhat more top end but still have good cruising and smoothness.

Carl

I'm no expert, but if the engine can only hit 3100RPM's then you're seriously lugging it. The "Beast" (aka Peninsular) is spec'd at WOT RPM 3600. Lugging a diesel will kill it quickly!
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I'm aware of that and am going to try to get the prop adjusted down a bit. Also, my cruise is 2800 rpm or so.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

This article on engine loading might be of interest.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”