• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Real World $ Budget to maintain your Yanmar

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

HMBJack
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: SF Bay Area

Real World $ Budget to maintain your Yanmar

Post by HMBJack »

Prospective Buyer here and running some numbers.

For the Albin 28's, what annual $ budget is needed to maintain your Yanmar?

Assuming a 3 or 4 year time frame, would $1K per year be about right for basic maintenance + the occassional repair? I'm referring to just the Yanmar (not bottom paint or boat issues) at say 150 hours per year.

I am mechanically skilled but not much beyond oil changes, fuel filters, swapping out an alternator or an easy to get to pump. Curious what $ to budget for per year for a "do it yourselfer".

Thanks!
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Real World $ Budget to maintain your Yanmar

Post by eseyoung »

Depends on the hours of the engine and well, your luck.

That said if you are doing the work yourself and the engine doens't have have 'deferred maintenance issues' that sounds reasonable to me.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

That sounds like a good estimate which would allow for your normal fluids, filters and zincs and then an "other" thing or so every season or so as well. For example: valve adjustment, mixing elbow, timing belt, impeller, raw water cooling component cleaning, alt. belts, etc. Those can be done over time as preventative maintenance..

Of course this is assuming that the boat gods are kind to you. It seems they have left Doug's boat so they could be anywhere by now!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

1K would be an awful lot IMO. I have rarely spent that much in any year on just an engine in doing all my own work. Unless I did some serious upgrades. That includes a Perkins, a Cummins, and a Ford-Lehman.
Normal cost would be less than half of that figure.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
HMBJack
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: SF Bay Area

Post by HMBJack »

Thank-you for the inputs. Of course, as on any boat engine, there could be unforeseen components that break down. Sounds like $1K would be adequate. I'll factor that into my cost of ownership scenario. Thanks!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”