• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cleaning aftercooler and heat exchanger

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Cleaning aftercooler and heat exchanger

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:Just ordered the Rydlyme to do the flush as soon as I have a weekend off. Cruise temp was starting to stay around 180 and would creep higher at WOT. My only question is the 50/50 mix. If I flush system first with fresh water to check for leaks this will leave fresh water within the system. So do I simply add straight product to the bucket and start the pump? Or do I add some water, and if so how much? I purchased 2 gallons for the Yan 6LPSTP.

After you run fresh water through the cooling loop pull all the zincs and let the coolers drain down. that will get rid of a lot of the water in the loop. Put the zincs cap back in. Then you will be pulling the hose at the raw water pump and the hose to the mixing elbow to make your circulation loop connections. Pulling those 2 hoses will drain some more water. Therefore, I would just mix up the 50/50 and do not worry about what little water may be left in the raw water loop. Be sure to pull the pisser hose off that cools the shaft seal and cap that off. A bolt in a short piece of hose is a simple cap-off method. You can see it in this pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Got it Rob. I always wonder how much longer your projects might take due to the amount of photos you take during the process. We all thank you greatly. Marco, thanks for the memories!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Sure Bob.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I say take the heat exchanger off and take it apart to clean it. One thing you want to make sure of is that the heat exchanger CAN come apart. Too many years together and it won't come apart. Then use anti-seize on the bolts for re-assembly.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I planned to do just that over the winter layup. As hot as its been, and with the warm water temps, just dont want any surprises the rest of the season. I know there is a couple of old zincs in there banging around that need to be removed, so will look for them when I do take them apart.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

You might want to check the temp sending unit first ..... i really think that is my readings were very high . Mechanic have lazer gun that told him what temp the variuos parts of the engine were. The reading were all at 178 yet my temp guage was reading 225 ............ will order a new sending unit
takoma
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: venezuela

Post by takoma »

RobS wrote:
kjg1951 wrote: ... WOT produced 245-250 degrees......
That is HOT. The 6LP overheat alarm will sound at 210 deg F. I would change the engine coolant once you get the temp straightened out as you have approached the boiling point of a 50/50 mix...

Hi i have same problems with mine 6lp-stp did you try with rydlyme how was it? did get it better
pls let me know or send me an email i apreciate adc229@gmail.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I did a rydlyme flush many years back, do a search for rydlyme and you will find my posts and others.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

The Rydlyme flush works. I dropped about 10*F. Never ran real hot before but I wanted to get closer to spec.
Now WOT and my temp never moves. It used to creep up.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Time for a followup here.

For those who don't want to go the DIY route, I can highly recommend Niemiec Marine in New Bedford, MA, for ultrasonic cleaning. Marty is great to work with, and even accommodated us driving the aftercooler down and waiting for it to be cleaned. We're so satisfied with the aftercooler that the heat exchanger is going down there this week. In fact, if we were located nearby, we'd be very happy to use their diesel mechanic services.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

Nancy wrote:Time for a followup here.

For those who don't want to go the DIY route, I can highly recommend Niemiec Marine in New Bedford, MA, for ultrasonic cleaning. Marty is great to work with, and even accommodated us driving the aftercooler down and waiting for it to be cleaned. We're so satisfied with the aftercooler that the heat exchanger is going down there this week. In fact, if we were located nearby, we'd be very happy to use their diesel mechanic services.

Just as a heads up to those that may not know...Ultrasonic is really preferred but requires the removal of the exchangers (maybe 4 0r 5 of them) The Rydlyme wash gets everything in one shot without removal.
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Post by Jforesta »

Pitou wrote:
RobS wrote: That reminds me Kevin still has my custom made fittings for the rydlyme flush! If you want them I can have him UPS them to you direct.
Packaged up and ready to ship. I thought I'd have a new boat by now to use them on before their return. :(

Here's a post to a picture of the Rydlyme flush on my 6BTA. Pretty simple set-up and if you pay attention there should be no problems.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5701&p=34136&hilit=Rydlyme#p34136

Rob
Did you get the rydlyme set up back? I would like to borrow if I can.
Joe
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Old School wrote:
Just as a heads up to those that may not know...Ultrasonic is really preferred but requires the removal of the exchangers (maybe 4 0r 5 of them) The Rydlyme wash gets everything in one shot without removal.
The Rydlyme will not clean the air side of the aftercooler which can accumulate an oily goo. Doing a Rydlyme flush on the aftercooler only cleans the saltwater intake side.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Russ and Nancy, Rydlyme is the SAFEST descaler on the market. It's nothing like hydrochloric/muriatic acid that is so casually used by so many others. Hydrochloric can permanently scar your lungs if you get a good sniff of the vapors. Rydlyme on the other hand has no toxic vapors. I used this product in large quantities for cleaning cooling systems in food and drug plants throughout this country. All you have to be really careful of is getting it in your eyes. Always wear safety goggles! Skin contact is to be avoided, but is not dangerous. Just flush with some water. It's definitely the best product to use for descaling a heat exchanger in place and on the boat. Marko remembers pretty well-that's the correct procedure. An old bilge pump can be used-just immerse it in the solution and pump backwards thru the system.Good luck, Ben

Return to “Albin Maintenance”