• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Electric Questions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

A25 Electric Questions

Post by Sunsetrider »

OK, I'm going to post a few pics - the first one is the 1971 A25 wiring diagram, followed by my alternator, starter, then the existing wiring (front), then the back of the panel. I am going to have to upgrade things: (a) install my ACR and on-off switch; (b) install my Promarine 12A charger; (c) rewire battery wires and install proper circuit protection; (d) rewire the circuits.

I'll ask a few questions in the next post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A25 Electric Questions

Post by Sunsetrider »

Although everything (except the anchor light) seems to function, I think it's clear why the system cries out for improvement. I've been reading the books and the interwebs on the subject and deficiencies include a lack of circuit protection in the battery room, unidentifiable circuits, electric and electronic add-ons that are not integrated into the system, and so on. Both batteries are relatively new.

Some questions I have:
Diagram:
- what is the unit inserted between the Pos battery terminals? - not evident in the actual pic of the batteries.
- I want to increase the size of the alt-starter cabling, but which wire (looking at the starter pic) is the right one?
- I suspect the alt pulley is out of alignment

Front wiring pic:
- Cannot figure out what all those small wires to the left and right of the Pos bus are. The Pos bus is the black disc and the black wire attached to it comes from the switch to feed the panel above.

Panel back:
- Best way to identify what is what? Or just take it all out ans start over, incorporating the VHF and depth into a new breaker/switch panel?
- The horn, fuel pump and bilge pump have toggle switches on the console already.

Basically, any input to give me hints, shortcuts etc. greatly appreciated! :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

After just a quick look I'd have to say that, if time and budget allow, a rip it out path might well be best. Of particular concern for me is the mixing in of black cable for 12v+. That's just a huge no no.

Do you own a copy of the "Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual"? If not, I'd recommend it. Also Nigel Calder's electrical systems books.

Also, Blue Seas Systems has LOTS of information on their website about power distribution and circuit protection. I like their products, very well made.

Since you don't show the "unit" between the positive posts I'd have to assume it's some kind of charge splitter that directs power to the starter battery and then the house. But that's just a guess.

More later, but that's a start!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Thanks Doug. FYI here is what I've done to upgrade my brain so far:

- have and read Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook (C Wing), Marine Electrical Electronics Bible (Payne), The 12 Volt bible (Can't find it though, it's here somewhere), and Marine Diesel Engines (Calder).
- Canadian Power & Sail Squadron short course (4 3-hour sessions) on marine electrics - the basics.
- Hours of web crawling on the subject, including Blue Sea and a guy called Maine Sail.

Should I get Calder on electrics as well? What I find really helpful is the Dick Jane Spot stuff with diagrams that sort of copy real life rather than concepts.

Maybe that unit between the posts is supposed to rep a batt switch?

I wish it would warm up!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “Albin Maintenance”