• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shelf

seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Shelf

Post by seasalt »

Under the hatch outside the head I can see an empty shelf just aft of the shower sump. The shelf has tabs on the sides that are glassed in to the hull. I will guess it to be about 18" fore to aft.

Do all the 35 TE's have this shelf?

If it were to be cut out access to the bilge pump and float that sits just forward of the engines would be much easier.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shelf

Post by skye peak »

I have an airconditioner circ pump mounted there.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

My shelf is empty. I access the AC pump kneeling between the engines and reaching forward and down. The strainer is there also. Just forward and accessed from under the bottom stair tread is the fresh water pump. The empty shelf is further forward.

It looks easy to cut out if one has very long arms.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'm in the process of doing just the opposite Ron! :) I'm making up a set of longer "shelves" to basically put a floor in that entire area. My intention is to use it for storage of items that are either heavy or infrequently needed, or both. Once I get further along I'll post some pictures.

To make this all work I'm moving the shower sump further aft to just in front of the hot water, which, in our boat, is mounted on the shelf I believe you've described above. Where is yours? I access the forward bilge pump (I've replaced it - mine are all Johnson pumps) from the engine room.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Doug,

The shelf that I am thinking of removing is under the sole, aft of the sump, and I could not casually place anything on it for storage. I can see it but i can't touch it without making like a snake. Forward of the sump is empty hull al the way to the bow. Further aft of the shelf in question are the dual layer shelves for the a/c pump and the fresh water pump. The A/C pump is accessed from the engine room and the fresh water pump from the bottom stair tred in the lower hallway.

My hot water heater is under the forward berth. Many things must be removed to replace it. Chuck told me that it was a heck of a job to put in a new one.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Let's see if we are talking the same area? There is an access door cut into the teak floor just outside the shower door. That would be just before stepping into
forward cabin area.
When you are down on the floor you can look aft towards the engine compartment. There are two fiberglass 1/2" tabs. I use a couple of plastic dishwasher style pans for extra storage in the area. It is a perfect area for wine & water bottle storage with excellent temp. control.

One of the prior questions is what did the previous owner leave abroad? Just recalled he used this area to store Idaho Potatoes and there were a half dozen stored there when the boat was delivered in good condition.

Happy 2014 Boating to all.

2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Howard,

I think we are talking about the same area. The access door cut into the teak floor just outside the shower door. If I get down on my knees with my butt in the forward cabin and look aft of the shower sump there is an empty shelf. It is a piece of maybe 3/4 plywood with the edges tabbed and glassed to the hull sides about 18" x 18". It is even with the door to the guest stateroom underneath the sole. Looking forward in the engine room you can see the aft edge of the shelf directly over the bilge pump and float switch.

If this shelf were to be removed it seems like one could stretch over the sump back to the bilge pump rather than trying to work on it from the engine room.

I doubt if there would be any structual issues for the hull with its removal.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Ron: Seems like you are correct on the placement and structure issues. I plan to look at mine up close the last week in Jan. when up to Anacortes. Will see then if my recollection is good.
whwells 'Howard"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Ron,

Based on your description above that is in fact where my hot water heater sits. The new deck or shelf that I'm talking about adding would extend forward from there for about 3 feet. I'll put a piece of 1"x1" at the forward end to make sure I don't push anything off the forward end. I figure I can get two decent sized storage containers in there.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”