• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabin leaks

Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Cabin leaks

Post by Saltdog »

I am looking at 2001 and there has been a little (rain water I think) on the floor of the port side bunk. And a small puddle on the floor just behind the helm seat.

My guess this is coming through the sliding windows, but I can't see any water trail.

Does anybody have any experience with this problem, and any suggestions on how to find and correct the leaks?

Thanks
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have seen a small puddle next to the helm seat and I followed the water trail between the control and the window. I could not tell if water was coming in the front windshield or the side window, but it's right there. It always rained during the week not on the weekend when I was there. I also had water wicking in through the wire to the horn and then dripping out the access port under the hard top, (center access port). I would notice a small puddle in the center of the floor in the cabin. It was caulked just fine but it would follow the wires in.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

The top of my center forward window, the one that opens, leaks at the hinge, especially when I wash it down. I ususally keep a towel over the companion way hatch boards to catch the leak.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I have the same problem. I thought the windows were the cause, I pulled one and re-bedded it and I still had the leak.

I followed a water trail and saw it leaking in, but couldn't see the actual source. I then figured it was the hull to deck joint - under the rub rail. I then took a hose and watered down the rub rail only and low and behold the water came in.

The hull 2 deck joint is achieved with screws which are usually bedded with 3M5200 or something. I figure one of the screws lost its bed. Anyway, this is something my father and I plan to do in the next few weeks after we get some consitant weather up north.

You should give it the hose test along the rub rail and see if you can find where it's entering.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I may have mis read your post - if the leak is inside the cabin I'd check the rub rail or the cabin windows.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I have experienced water filtering it's way through the grab rail bolts mounted on the Pilot House Roof and dripping onto the dash and helm seat. Ended up removing the grab rails and applying silcone calking where the bolts and grab rails come down through the roof on top and not on the bottom.

Do not apply calk where the cap nut and bolts come together inside because if you do have a leak you may not know for a very long time as water would not be able to get through and who knows what damage that could cause.

That's my story!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Cabin leaks

Post by Saltdog »

Elizabeth Ann. please do let me know what you find when you try to reseal the deck to hull problem. I am not familar with how the boat is constructed, but would a leak there allow the water to penetrate into the hull core? or are both the hull and the deck independently sealed?

Thanks

TS
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Here's a picture from the factory (2003) ...
The top and hull are attached with 5200 and a ton of screws.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Saltdog,

A bunch of us here, thankfully due to Chiefrcd, have 'blueprint' diagrams for the 28. If you tell me where to email them and I will send them to you - it incudes almost all major sytems on the boat including the hull 2 deck joint.

I don't think the core will be affected by a leak through the joint. And if you have one or two guys working with you, pulling the rub rail and rebedding some hull 2 deck screws is not difficult, re-doing the bolts maybe because the bolts is inside the cabin tucked under upholstery and cabinets. Luckily, our leak is behind the cabinet - should I decide I really need to get at it. I wouldn't want to start pulling upholstery :(

You'll understand more when you see the diagram(s).
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Cabin leaks

Post by Saltdog »

Thanks Jack for the great picture. Elizabeth Ann, does the rub rail go right under the bottom edge of the deck? It looks like if water got there it would just run off of the deck edge. Do you think it is hitting screws and then going inside? I guess it is hard to imagine without actually seeing it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

TS
Scott Fennell
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Comox BC, Canada

Re: Cabin leaks

Post by Scott Fennell »

I also have cabin leaks and can't figure anything out accept for the rain water coming in thru the deck to hull joint or the deck to roof joint. If at all possible, I would love to get a copy of your specs as well. it has become quite a frustration trying to figure this out. Oh, one other thing is I think you can get to the inside of the deck joint thru the interior behind the the vinyl that looks like it comes off in 3" strips and a few screws to remove. Im going to pull one of and look. in heavy rain I'm getting a few gallons of fresh water per day. not firkin good. Any thoughts or info anyone has would be very well appreciated.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Cabin leaks

Post by Russell »

The boat I purchased earlier this year had cabin leaks and I discovered them when going out in rough seas spraying water all over the boat. I found their source by using a hose starting on the deck and checking inside. Then I went to the ports and finally to the seam between the pilot house and deck. I found the caulking between the pilot house and deck had cracked and the stainless port in the head had a failed weld. Tightening the screws on the frame pulled the gap wider and made the leak worse. I replaced the caulk and the port. The leak from the failed caulk was over the port bunk and I had to remove the header over the bunk to see where it was coming in. I think a leak at the hull and deck joint is very unlikely on a 28 unless it has been damaged in a collision.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”