• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Spring Haul-Out – It’s A Boat!

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Chris & Dale

Spring Haul-Out – It’s A Boat!

Post by Chris & Dale »

Our 1st Spring Haul-out since buying Steel Hers. The plan: power wash the bottom, prep, 2 coats Petit Trinidad SR, recondition prop, new zincs, new stern thru-hull for the live-well, compound/wax hull, splash! Budget $2000 ± 200 and a week out of the water, tops.
Haul-out.JPG
The reality: 13 years of hard bottom paint weight and it fell off during the power wash down to gelcoat in spots. Decided to have it Farrow media blasted to the gelcoat, put on 3 coats of Petit Protect epoxy barrier paint, followed by 2 coats Petit Ultima SR 60 black. Problem locally is that the expert in Farrow blasting had a 2 ½ week backlog, so we’re on the hill for a while.
Barrier Coat.JPG
New Bottom.JPG
In the meantime we had the prop pulled & sent to the prop shop for reconditioning/fine tuning as it wasn’t in that bad a shape. Reality: the shaft showed signs of galling indicating we needed to change the cutlass bearing. When the housing was removed it was found severely corroded, so a new housing w/bearing pressed in was ordered. Trying Barnacle Barrier on props & housing. Will let you know how it works. Oh yeah, the rudder post showed minor leaking so it was repacked as well. The thru-hull installation for the live-well went without a hitch. After all was put back together (coupler reattached) and had sat in the water a while, shaft alignment had to be checked.
Prop Off.JPG
Cutlass Housing.jpeg
Prop & Housing.JPG
New Thru-Hull.JPG
Hull was compounded and waxed on the hill. Within a couple of days some oxidization was seen coming thru. Gonna bite the bullet and budget a new deep blue Awlgrip hull paint job for next year. We plan on having her a long time, so it’ll be worth it. Interesting sidebar observation: once she was put back in the water, it looked a lot better than on the stand. Still, she will oxidize so we’ll fix it. Installed new S/S louvered vents and new black frame bow lights as well. One white one had gone bad so changed both and went to black.
Splash!.JPG
So, everything fixed, splashed, alignment checked out perfect, and we’re back in business. Now I just need to: install the new live-well pump in the stern; install a faucet behind the port side seat and redirect the mid-ship pump to it; and finally install the new Standard Horizon Quantum GX5500S VHF radio, tie to my GPS, and the Shakespeare antenna, and I believe I’m done with my 2013 projects.

Oh yeah, a little over 4 weeks later....$5500 total....It's A Boat!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Spring Haul-Out – It’s A Boat!

Post by Nancy »

Ouch on the price tag, but all worthwhile projects to have behind you.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

There's never "A" project, but rather a series of projects which may or may not have matching starts or ends! It's all part of the adventure of boating!

Nice pics and write up, I enjoyed reading that. Always interesting to see what folks are working on. Thanks for posting!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I don't see any bonding wire to your through hull fitting. I am not a boat electrical expert by any means, but every piece of metal that goes through the hull has a green bonding wire that is ultimately connected to a hull zinc.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Also on the thru hull: what do the three screws screw to?
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Chris I had the hull on mine media blasted down to the gel coat, barrier coat, can't really tell. I am going o have the hull barrier coated again in the spring. Why did you go for three coats of barrier paint? How long did they or you wait between barrier coats and bottom paint?

Enjoy the holidays. Perhaps the Merry old guy will bring his elves in to awl grip the yacht. :D
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Serenity wrote:Why did you go for three coats of barrier paint? How long did they or you wait between barrier coats and bottom paint?
Hey Max,

I'm sure Chris will respond, but wanted to share what I did when I stripped Sonny III (our prior boat) down to gel coat and then barrier coated.

The recommendation was 5 coats of barrier coat. Honestly don't remember where that came from, but conversations with others validate that. Did the recommended alternate colors (gray/white/gray/white/gray) to avoid any missed spots. Between coats you let it dry but you put the first coat of bottom paint on "hot". That means that you don't let the last coat of barrier fully dry but instead put on the bottom paint when it will still react with the barrier coat and chemically bond.

Another recommendation; the first coat of bottom paint is NOT your finished color. Our bottom was red, so the first coat was black, followed by a finish coat of red. The idea is, you don't reapply paint until you see the "signal" color that tells you the finish layer has worn away. Avoids over building the bottom layers.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

3 coats recommended by Petit. Between coats was up to the boat yard following the instructions for temp & humidity. I hindsight, I like the idea of a different color of 1st coat of barrier to be able to see you've reached the last one BEFORE gelcoat.

The Merry Old Guy is working over the holidays to pay the elves to awlgrip it!

A good boatyard w/someone you trust is worth it's weight in gold!

Good Luck!
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Well guys, thanks for the input. I suppose using Sears all-weather latex is out of the question! With the NYC boat show coming up, I hope to gather more info. However, 3-5 coats of barrier and 2 coats of hull paint appear to be the normal and accepted practice. Since I have to have my shaft log taken care of, I will probably have the yard do it all. Ta ching, ta ching. I think I would rather work and have the elves do the job in my back yard. Well enjoy the holidays and enjoy watching those Duck Dynasty re-runs. Wouldn't it be great if we could put our boats on a health insurance plan and all of this maintenance would be picked up as urgent care.

Have a great day
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote:Since I have to have my shaft log taken care of, I will probably have the yard do it all. Ta ching, ta ching.
What's going on there? Elaborate.

I have nothing to do to my boat this off-season and might get bored. No boat projects and no hurricane claims, what's a man to do with himself! Maybe I could use a little side work and money in the bigger boat fund!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

RobS wrote:I have nothing to do to my boat this off-season and might get bored. No boat projects and no hurricane claims, what's a man to do with himself!
I guess you're going to have to break down and wax your bilge. :twisted:
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

At the rate things are going I'll have to start a new thread "Spring Haul-Out II - It's Still A Boat" in just a couple more months. Where the #@%* has the year gone? LOL
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob, the yard that winterized Serenity noticed that I was leaking water thru the shaft. When they replaced my raw water pump they noticed that my clamps were shot on the dripless bearing. (Those are the only clamps I can think of.) The only problem I have is I haven't been able to check it all out due to my recent heart surgery. I had my aortic valve repaired with a cow valve and I have difficulty moving around in small places. Should be 100% in 2-3 weeks.

Enjoy the holidays
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Max, I'd be happy to check that out with you once you are back on your feet on some balmy January day. So, if you wish, hold off on scheduling that shaft work with the yard.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob appreciate the thought and will accept. The surgery has temporarily left me with soreness on the right side of my chest. Since I am right handed my tennis serve is somewhat awkward, in fact non-existent. I hadn't planned to do anything till the spring. The yacht is in my backyard. I will give you a ring in a week or 2 and we can set a date. :lol:
Thanks
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”