• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

SHARE & COMPARE TOURNAMENT EXPRESS SERIES

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

SHARE & COMPARE TOURNAMENT EXPRESS SERIES

Post by whwells »

Would like to hear all your thoughts on the various TE SERIES. As you likely know I am an owner of a 35TE SPORTFISHER/FLYBRIDGE. The boat has been perfect for me thus far. However, keeping it up in the NW PUGET SOUND makes for a long 2 day drive each way. That becomes more difiicult with age and at some point this year or next impossible. I do want to stay in the Albin family.
That said which other Albin the 28, or 31 might work for me? There are really no cruise area's around Trinidad, Ca. my home and fishing is the big thing. Taking Nibbles to San Fran. would still be a long drive for me and the closes area for any cruising. Would like to be able to pull and store the next boat in the winter. There are no covered slips in my area. Anacortes, my Home Port has covered slips and that along with regular maintenance has kept the boat in a new condition. Anything less would not work for me.
Is the 28Te the way to go or would a non flybridge 31 be towable for winter storage? Anyone ever tow a 35te non flybridge for winter storage? Really look forward to you thoughts and advise.
whwells "Howard"
2006 Sportfisher/Flybridge Twin Yanmars
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: SHARE & COMPARE TOURNAMENT EXPRESS SERIES

Post by amber jj »

Howard we have our 31 TE towed about a half hour away for outdoor storage but where it is parked beside hydro & water,I also have access to a full woodworking shop.
The cost of hauling is about $400 each way.Even running the keel close to the road we are still over legal height by about a foot and that is taking the radar dome off the top of the mast also.
What I am saying it is doable,but with a little risk of catching some overhead wires if they are to low.Once the route is established not a problem.The other thing is the cost of a substantial trailer,truck large enough to haul,and permits.Bob
The 31 certainly is not a real problem,not like your flybridge boat.We have ours hauled one day and the next day winterize and cover it.Done.At $800 per year it would take quite awhile to pay for that truck and trailer,plus here in Ontario I believe it is about $150.00 for permits.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Amber: Thank you for the response. I am encouraged the 31 is reasonably towable. Seems to me like a few years back a member used to tow the 31 himself from the NE to Flor. and back. Don't recall who that was. Think it was before my purchase of the 35 in the summer 2010.
We have no boat hauling people in our area. The nearest is Portland, Or or S.F.Ca. either many hours and lots of dollars for a local tow.
My prev. Luhrs a 290 had a 12' beam with a flybridge. I was able to tow it Euk. Harbor to winter storage annually with my Dodge 4wd twice a year. It did have a very low flybridge but I nevertheless hit some wires twice. The commercial 6 Pack fisherman who purchased it from me has since removed the flybridge. It was mostly a seat with instruments anyway.
I do like the 31. There are 3 or 4 in the Anacortes Marina where Nibbles is stored. One is owned by friends and another active AOG Member. They do not attempt to tow.
The 28 flush deck maybe my best choice. However, one gets used to the extra room of the 31-35. I do like both. If I could get Nibbles out of the water and shrink wrapped for the winter - I would consider bringing it down to Brookings, Or which is less than a 2 hr drive for me with nice slips -though not covered. In Trinidad we have only bouys for seasonale
use. In Euk. Ca. with slips near us the Jettys are terrible and even with an Albin require lots of respect.
Howard
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Howard: As an owner of a 28TE with a trailer, I thought I'd pass along a few thoughts.

The total miles I've towed the boat on a custom built trailer with my Dodge 3500 pickup would probably total 2500 miles. The longest trip being 500 miles one way. By folding down the radio antennas my measured height sitting on the trailer is 13' and does not require a permit. With the 9'11" beam the trailer does require a width permit, but it is under the 10' width that would require a separate pilot car working with the towing vehicle. So, when I want to move, I buy a $16 wide load permit on line, strap on the yellow WIDE LOAD signs and head out.

Besides the benefit of moving up and down the Pacific Coast, the ability to pull the boat out by myself utilizing any boat launch ramp allows maintenance of all types to be quick and cost effective. During the off season, I put an RV cover over it and park it in my back yard. Lastly, the $12,000 investment in the trailer seems to allow both the boat and the trailer to maintain value better. The combination is in pretty high demand.

As for comparing the performance; I'm only familiar with the 28TE powered by Yanmar. I can say, that the power to displacement ratio of the smaller hull as well as the length to width ratio have provided really impressive stability and speed when I needed it in some unexpected Pacific conditions.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Daryl: Thank you for the response. It is very helpful. Actually, I have seen your post previously about some of your trips. We also had some communication as I recall about your plans for the Columbia Gorge area as well as the Pac. NW in the future.

I am really happy with the 35te in all respects but the long drive to the NW. Although, it gets used about a week plus May through Sept. and that is a big expense for so little actual boating.

Well, my continuing inquiry is all about what will have to be at some near point. A towable makes a lot of sense.
I do like the extra space of the 31 & 35 and have been trying to determine if either is towable for short distances.
Likely, the 28te will do it all best.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Howard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”