• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

icw northbound

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

got2dive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

icw northbound

Post by got2dive »

purchased 31 te in st augustine florida to have boat trucked to long island new york was too expensive and had to take to much of top of boat so now will be bringing boat north by water at end of february need any info on icw and sailing oceanside would be helpful also where to get diesel do to job constrants need to do trip as fast as possible
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: icw northbound

Post by whwells »

Congra's on the 31 purchase. Do understand your concerns in removing parts of the boat. Had that experience with my 35te in 2010. The good news it all was R&R with no cracks or damages at either end. However, there are cost factors.
My costs to R&R the flybridge was about 2500. at each end with perhaps a 1,000. to build a platform and plywood crate to carry the flybridge on the front of the truck during hauling.

You are likely to get some good advise on the return north by water. Others have posted in the past the fun and experience of heading north. The 31 Albin TE is a very stable & dependable boat for the waters with cautious seamanship.

Welcome and Congra's on the 31 a wonderful boat. The recomendations of many here is that you delay the trip until good weather or ship. However, strong your seamanship is - getting help and waiting for good weather is important and even lifesavings. Sounds like really good advise to me to wait.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
Last edited by whwells on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

Well, sounds like you are in for the adventure of a lifetime! Just to be clear, thats not a bad thing. weather can be dicey that time of year. I'd try to stay on the inside till you are north of the Chesapeake. If you don't, once you are past the mouth of hte bay you are more or less committed to running to at least Ocean City, MD. Seasonal openings of slips and fuel may be an issue. call ahead and plan, Active Captain will be a great help but be sure to confirm.

Did you consider hiring a delivery captain? maybe worth looking into, at least part of the way.

Either way for local Baltimore info and/or a hand while/if you are in the bay let me know.
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

You may want to wait until Spring. I assume that most marinas from Chesapeake north have shut off their fuel pumps and hauled their floating slips. Here in RI there are few if any options to obtain fuel or tie up. Also consider that if you encounter mechanical problems underway there are no boats around to help. Not sure if towing services operate in dead of winter. Cruising in sub-zero temperatures would be not be particularly pleasant. Do you have to bring it north in February?
John S.
Jamestown, RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

To build on what John (powerboater56) has posted...

Your options and support north of the Chesapeake will be seriously limited. While fuel and support can be found in areas where there are commercial operations, weather can shut even those down. And water temps are a very real concern. I just did a late season trip with Sonny IV and had my Mustang Exposure suit on the whole time I was underway. And that would be inadequate in many areas. I was looking for 30-60 minutes of safety given the relatively narrow confines of Long Island Sound, a good float plan, and a nearby USCG station. So a full on tracking system, and frigid/ice water protection would be a must for a February run. Not saying it can't be done. But wondering why you would do it. Push your departure date back two months and your options will increase dramatically. If you do go, I'd have full on exposure suits for all on board, and a serious tracking protocol.

The real issue as I see it is that you are time constrained, and that can lead to serious problems. If you find yourself saying "We have to go", instead of "We should wait" you can get into a really bad situation. The story of the HMS Bounty during Sandy comes to mind.

Push your date back. Wait for warmer water, more port options, and less chance of storms. It's the right move.

Best,
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Just throwing this out there, what about going on a RoRo from Chesapeake to Baltimore. I know the North Atlantic route goes the opposite way, but there may be an option there you could use?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

I'm with Doug, wait until you have better weather. If you're really pushed, get the boat up to the Chesapeake and store it there until spring and then make the final run up to LI. But the ICW is a wonderful experience, even if you have to do it in stages because of work, don't miss the chance to experience it rather than just blasting thru.

Good luck!
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

Or work on a compromise...bring her as far north as Baltimore and let it here till weather warms up. I think most will agree that this is fairly safe and mostly do-able. The bay isn't awful that time of year, some fuel and some marinas stay open here. Your choices are somewhat limited but you won't have trouble finding a slip or fuel. Also there a few other boats out on the bay that time of year. in April when things open up and warm up a bit take a 4 day weekend to take her the rest of the way. I and several other members can recommend places in and around that are reasonably priced and offer good service. this may be a good time to haul and paint and rezinc if it needs it. Just a thought.
Rybo78
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, MA

Post by Rybo78 »

Subscribe to Tom Neale's boatUS East Coast Alerts. It's an up to date and concise listing of all issues along the eastern seaboard (dredging, bridge work, bridge/lock closure, etc). I make several trips up and down the beach each year between MA and south FL and always consult his most recent report before departing.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I know you said the "end of February" and this is only the 2nd. A lot can happen around here in a few weeks. But, consider what everyone is saying. There are plenty of Chesapeake members that will help you find a marina until Spring if you want to start your trip and layover here.

KENT NARROWS, Md. — This winter’s chilly weather has crews breaking up ice on the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries for the first time in years.

The Department of Natural Resources’ John Gallagher says this is likely the most ice Maryland has had in at least five years. Crews started breaking up ice Wednesday around Kent Narrows to keep the waterway accessible. The freezing weather has created ice about 6 inches thick..

The state has four boats available to break up ice. They are kept near Smith Island, Annapolis, Cambridge and Kent Narrows.

Officials say clearing ice-clogged waterways ensures first responders can provide assistance and allows watermen to maintain their business. It also allows fuel boats to reach Salisbury and Smith Island and marine builders to move barges to job sites.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”